Best of: Grimmauld Place

Oh, I loveeee fics featuring Grimmauld Place. It's just so warm and cozy a feeling to me, even on the occasion that the house is well-hated!

The fics on this list are all so good that I only put Cornelius (𐂂) beside the true top favourites that I originally marked as snitches. Remember that those are fics that get at least 150/100. Meaning even the ones that don't have him beside the title can still absolutely deserve 100%.

Sorry if my commentary is a bit subdued, I was unfortunately entirely in my right mind when I wrote it.

Under 10k

Explicit

Title: A Shower, A Meal, A Nap, and A Shag

͛ By: chickenlivesinpumpkin
Link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/1547708
Rating: PWP
Author Summary: Harry's supposed to be alone in Grimmauld Place...so why is there a Malfoy in his shower? And what's Harry going to do about it?

Tag List: Seventh Year horcrux hunt, EWE, non-canon-compliant, first time, loss of virginity, 4k

Commentary: It's just a smutty fic. You read the summary. You know what Harry's going to do about it. Why do you need me to tell you?
Oh, and, yeah, this is part of a series of fics (7 mini-fics under 10k, one around 30k, and one around 50k) that encompass the years surrounding the horcrux hunt. Most of them are PWP.

Discussion Zone for A Shower, A Meal, A Nap, and A Shag

___

Title: Better Days

By: orphan_account
Link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/13729932
Rating: Explicit
Author Summary: Draco knows Potter's address. He knows it by heart. His mother took him to Grimmauld Place every Friday afternoon up until the very day his grandmother died, after which they were barred from entering. He remembers the front gate, the stone steps up to the front door, the park opposite where sometimes, after their visits, his mother would take him to play and look at the ducks on the tiny pond.

Tag List: Post-Hogwarts, EWE, Harry making pasta, 3k

Commentary: this fic is locked/on private so you'll need an account to read. Really, it's just a quick little scene of them being cute together, Draco coming to Harry's house to thank him for everything, and of course that develops into... the reason this fic deserves the rating it has.

Discussion Zone for Better Days

10k-49k

Teens and Up

Title: Haunt the Corner of my Eye

By: spookywoods
Link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/24673885/chapters/59626201
Rating: Teens and Up
Author Summary: Harry's life is very much on track. After a successful career as an Auror, he's set to become the youngest ever Minister for Magic. But strange things are starting to happen at Grimmauld Place. Items he doesn't recognise are appearing left and right, and somehow he never feels quite alone. There's only one thing Harry knows for sure: it has something to do with Draco Malfoy.

Tag List: Post-Hogwarts, EWE, mystery, Auror Harry Potter, Student Draco Malfoy, angst with a happy ending, Wizarding politics, 23k

Commentary: my original note for this bookmark was, "Aahhhhhhhhh so so good so good so good yes." Eloquent.
Harry intercepts a letter addressed to Draco telling him to pick up a library book. From this, Harry deduces that Draco is attending a Muggle university in London. But that can't be true, right? Malfoy fled London! And a Muggle university? Except, it might explain all the strange goings-on at Grimmauld Place.
Excerpt: "Who knows what he's up to? Hermione, if he's been in my house—leaving things, taking things—anything is possible. Is he going to plant something illegal? Try and blackmail me?"
Hermione's expression becomes more serious. "I'm not saying you shouldn't investigate a perceived threat, Harry. But it's a giant leap from 'some things in my house have moved around' to 'Draco Malfoy is trying to scare me into quitting politics'. It could be anything! Merlin, it could be a poltergeist!"
What makes this fic so good is the steady unraveling of the mystery, something you aren't even sure is there at first, so keep your eyes peeled for any little clues that might help you understand.