Chapter 39

Be happy.  Be Fun.
Let your hair down and be ageless. 
—Margo Vader. 

Skittish butterflies danced around in Dora's stomach and she fiddled with her fingers.

Their journey had gone on for over an hour and Dora remained ignorant of their destination.

We are going on a trip! Gerald's declaration floated in her mind and caused her heart to churn.

Her emotions had been in turmoil since their departure. Anger at Tara for teaming up with Gerald coursed through her. Irritation at Gerald's persistent secrecy surged through her.

However, curiosity dominated the other emotions.  Her eyes flickered outside and surveyed the vicinity they drove into.  Her brows furrowed as nothing seemed familiar.

Endless rows of huge trees dotted both sides of the road. Gerald did a right turn and continued straight down.

More trees came into view and Dora had to strain her eyes to make out the rooves of houses hidden behind the cluster of trees.

She tilted her head towards the window and struggled to pick up any sound echoing around. Her ears perked up as the rushing of water filled her senses.

Her confusion heightened and her eyes darted to the side to stare at Gerald. He wore a calm expression with a relaxed posture.

Dora bit her lip to hold in the one question she had.

Do I even want to know the answer? She asked herself.

I don't think so," came a small voice.

She pushed the thoughts and questions to the back of her mind and her eyes drifted back to the window.

Her body jerked a little as Gerald did a sharp turn. The car slowed down as they headed towards a black gate.

Dora's amazement increased as the big trees changed to palm trees of different sizes.

She didn't have to wonder too much.
They arrived at the black gate and a blue banner welcomed them.

Dora's eyes flickered to it and she let out a gasp as she whispered the words.

Paradise villa and resorts.

Her heart flipped and the butterflies in her stomach fluttered.

The word 'resort' jumped out at her and her mind raced to a memory long buried.

                ★★FLASHBACK★★

It was a peaceful day at the campus. Late afternoon had changed to evening and students were filing to their various dormitories.

Hand in hand, Dora and Gerald strolled towards the opposite end of the campus where the girls' hotels were stationed.

Gerald the ever-faithful boyfriend insisted on escorting Dora to the safety of her room in one of the hostels.

The couple chatted amicably without taking a break. That was one of the beautiful attributes of their relationship. They could discuss for hours without running out of topics.

But just like everything else, their chatting session ended as they stopped in front of Dora's room door.

They turned to each other and a smile graced their lips.

Gerald tilted his head and heaved a sigh. "It pains me to bid you goodbye."

Dora giggled and whispered, "Well, in a couple of months we'll graduate, and then you can do the needful." She smirked and grazed his shoulder with her hand.