Chapter 13

If I cease searching, then, woe is me, I am lost. That is how I look at it - keep going, keep going come what may. —Vincent van Gogh

The afternoon breeze wafted into the moving car. The honks of vehicles filled the background.

"You have been quiet since; what's up?"

"Nothing; there is just a lot going on in my mind." Dora shook her head.

"That's understandable, considering where we are heading to." Kemi spared her a look. "But you can share anything with me. It's no good bottling things up."

Dora bit her lips and wrapped her arms around her body. Somewhere deep in her heart, she knew Kemi was right. But no matter how she tried, she couldn't produce words.

"You are afraid of what lays ahead, right?"  Kemi said after some moments of silence.

Dora swallowed and nodded. " Yes," she croaked out.

"I understand your feelings. But trust God; he will set everything right."

"I hope so," Dora whispered and her eyes drifted across the open window. She gazed at the bustling street filled with various vehicles and cars. Her eyes followed the people who rushed to enter the buses that stopped at the bus stands.

Her eyes landed on the street hawkers struggling to sell their wares. There was a buzz in the air and a flutter in her chest.

Kemi was heading them towards the direction of her past. 

"What do you think her reaction will be?" Kemi broke the silence.

"I don't know." She heaved a sigh. "After what she did, I don't think it will be good."

Kemi hummed in response and drummed on the wheel as they waited for the lights to turn green.

"Well, I hope and pray God will soften her heart towards us." Kemi sent her a smile of encouragement.

Dora didn't give any response but she said a silent prayer for a miracle to happen.

"How is Tara?"

"She is good!" Light filled her eyes at the thought of her daughter. "She is at home with my elder sister." A small smile graced her lips.

"Aww, that's lovely! How long is your sister going to be there for?"

"Hmm, she's been around for a week now and promised to stay for quite some time."

"That is great. It gives you something to be happy about, right?"

"Oh yes, there has been a sort of liveliness and lightness since her arrival." Dora couldn't stop the grin that appeared on her face.

Her mind traveled to the fun they had and the uncountable times they smiled and laughed in the last one week.

Chiaka always had an activity for them to engage in when she and Tara were free from work—playing games, watching a movie, baking, and the list went on.

For once, she forgot the scars of her wound.

And a flame of unperturbed happiness lived in her heart. 

"I am glad you got to have that!" Kemi sent her a grin.

Dora beamed in response.

The women settled into a comfortable silence. The tension on Dora's shoulders eased a bit.

However, it was short-lived.

A rock landed into the pit of her stomach as the car turned into a familiar road. Her breath caught as the houses with peeling paint brought back a wave of memories.