Chapter 19

Life brings tears, smiles, and memories. the tears dry, the smiles fade, but the memories last forever.          ― Malik Faisal

"Could you please meet me at Jojo's at 5:30 pm?"

Gerald's voice and words floated in Dora's head as she sat in the moving vehicle.

Her eyes could not stop darting to the clock while she taught her students their remaining lessons.

She could not help but hurry Mide's lesson and spare only a few minutes with Ellie before she rushed off.

Her legs bobbled in anticipation as the taxi sped down the highway.

Pedestrians and cars all blurred into one picture as the taxi zoomed past. 

Her hands drummed on the handle of the door as she counted the minutes to get to her destination. 

Finally, the car slowed down as they did a right turn.

And then, an iceberg of shock slammed into her.

She gawked at the familiar cream building. Her eyes widened as she mouthed the words in bold red letters.

Her suspicion turned out to be true.

"Jojo's Fast Food!"

A name that brought back buried memories.

A name she failed to recognize when Gerald mentioned it.

She gazed with blurry eyes as a sea of images poured into her head.

"Ma'am! Ma'am!" A frantic voice broke the fog in her mind.

She turned semi-dazed eyes to the driver. "Uh... Pardon?"

"We have arrived!"

"Oh yes! Sorry." She took a quick look at the building. "Thank you!" She paid him the fare and slipped out of the car.

She released a shaky breath as she stared at the building wrapped with huge glass windows. She watched waitresses and waiters float around serving people. The patrons munched on their meals as well as engaging with their companions or pressed away on their phones and laptops.

Her shoes clicked on the marble floor as she climbed the steps. The bell above the door chimed as the door automatically split open for her to enter.

A light smile formed on her lips as she admired the new addition to the building.

Her last visit flitted in her mind.

A security officer as ancient as the building was the one to welcome her.

The familiar scent of freshly baked bread greeted her. The golden lights from the bulbs shone on her and received her. The peeling yellow paint on the wall was a comforting caress.

A nostalgic smile formed on her face as she scanned the place that was once a sanctuary for study nights, lunches, quick hangouts with friends, and fast breakfasts before classes.

But most of all, it was the place where her first date with Gerald occurred.

Her chest constricted as images of that day filled her head.

Her eyes roamed around and stilled on a figure that sat on the table in the middle of the restaurant.

The exact spot where he welcomed her with a smile many years ago. 

She swallowed a lump as she drew closer.

She was reliving it all again.

She saw her younger self strutting towards her beau.