Chapter 37

Street food is a brand. It is a cuisine inherited from our parents and culture. — K. F Seetoh

"Mom, let's go!" Tara muffled voice came from behind the door.

"I'm coming; give me five more minutes," Dora called back from over her shoulder.

"You know, you will make us get there late," said a new voice.

"I am coming, sis! Don't worry."

"You have been saying that for one hour!"

Dora's eyes flickered close and she let out a groan.

Why can't they understand I need to look perfect for every occasion?

Her sister's stern voice broke her musings.

"Five minutes, Adaora. And that's it."

"Got it," she said and their footsteps drifted away.

She turned back to the mirror and gazed at her reflection. A smile of contentment graced her lips.

Her palm slid down her maroon sheath dress that fell slightly below her knees.

She turned away from the mirror and slipped into her black sandals and carried her handbag. Her shoes clicked on the tiles as she stepped out of the room.

"Ahh, finally!" Tara exclaimed as she appeared at the entrance of the living room.

"I was about to come and drag you out," Chiaka said with a playful grin. "But the wait was worth it. You look good." Her eyes sparkled.

"Agreed!" Tara chimed in with a smile.

"Thank you. You guys don't look bad one bit." She beamed.

"Thank you!" Chiaka and Tara chorused with a smile.

"Now, let's go. I don't want to be blamed for any further delay."

Tara and Chiaka laughed and headed towards the door. The trio sauntered out in the shining sun.

                         ★★★★

A few hours later...

"Finally the meeting with the event planner is over, should we head out for lunch?" Tara asked.

Dora's stomach rumbled at the thought of food.

"Yes. I have been craving some suya," Chiaka said with a grin.

"Oh my God, same. Having a taste of street foods has recently been on my mind ." Tara's face lit up. "What about you, Mom?"

Tara and Chiaka turned to face Dora.

Dora shrugged. "No problem. I am quite hungry as well."

"Great!" Tara exclaimed in excitement. "Let's go."

The women hailed a taxi and headed to the nearest roadside joint.

Minutes later, they arrived at an open stall with tables of different sizes tucked under umbrellas. A man stood behind a counter roasting skewers of meat on a high fire.

The trio took their seats at a table for three.

"Let me place the order." Tara smiled and ambled away.

The aroma of chilies and spices tickled Dora's nose and she sneezed. However, the aroma was so intoxicating, her mouth began to water.

"It shall be ready and served in fifteen minutes," Tara announced and took her seat.

Dora nodded in acknowledgment and her eyes scanned the area.

The honking of vehicles on the highway filled her senses. The chatter of people around rang in her years.