Stepping Up, Chapter 71

They had to leave Sawat behind when an archer shot her in the calf. By then, Don was vicious with what he did to their attackers any time he was able to get a hand on them. He'd left enough half-melted corpses in his wake Tibs thought he'd have trouble sleeping once this was over.

Unlike what Don had predicted, the interference didn't end as they reached the road on the other side of which stood Sebastian's house. Surprised at the lack of visible guards, Jackal and Tibs went in separate directions around the property to check where they might be, leaving Rao to protect Don.

The house stood in the middle of the block, with only grass and a path leading to an ornamental gate at the front and back around it. There was the occasional tree, but they were young and thin, unable to hide anyone.

When the fighter rejoined them he shook his head.

"I didn't see any guards either," Tibs confirmed.

"Why would your father leave himself unguarded like that?" Don asked. He leaned against the wall but straightened as Tibs looked in his direction in the process of scanning for approaching thugs.

Jackal took his time considering the house. "It's possible he's finally running low on people. If that's the case, he's going to have a force inside the house, and the others are out there, preventing anyone from getting this close." He paused. "It's also possible he thinks that whatever this is, is enough to prevent anyone from causing him trouble with essence."

"Well, he's right with that," Don replied. "I can't do anything to the house's enchantments with this in the way."

"You're going to have to try," Jackal said. "We have to force him to—"

"Don't tell me what I have to do," Don snapped. "This is my plan, remember?"

"Your plan?" Jackal replied. "The only thing you did was sit there and repeat the stuff Tibs and Quig told you to and—"

"Don," Tibs said as the sorcerer stepped to the fighter. Rao looked scared of getting in the way.

"If you think I'm going to take your insulting too," Don replied, glaring at him.

"Is this affecting the enchantments?" Tibs asked, not looking away.

"How the fuck would I know? You think I've read everything there is to know about essence?"

"Yes," Tibs replied. "You're a sorcerer." It was part flattery, part truth. Sorcerers were always reading."

"Well, I don't."

"But you know more about essence than any of us. If this doesn't stop before the house, can Sebastian protect the enchantments on it from being disrupted?"

The sorcerer visibly took hold of his temper, and after a few seconds, he nodded. "He can." He looked thoughtful. "But it's easy to test if it reaches the house." He straightened his shoulders. "Rao, you're with me. You two keep an eye out for anyone trying to take me out." Don hurried to the other side of the road, then over the decorative fence and onto the property.

Jackal stepped next to Tibs. "What's your plan?"

Tibs stared at the fighter.

"That's why you sent him off, right? So you could share your plan with me and not have him bitch?"

"I just asked a question. I didn't know he'd leave us alone." He looked at the roof line for any changes.

"Come on, Tibs. I know you, you have a plan."

Tibs shook his head. "It's not a plan, just that if the house isn't protected, then it's just a normal house and—"

Don hurried back. "The enchantments aren't working."