Chapter Twelve

TWELVE

They walked into the cave, the dark, miserable cave. Kit held onto Levi’s hand and he guided her through the cave. She felt everyone’s watchful eyes on her, but she flipped them away.

The only possible way for Kit to describe how dark it was that it was so dark that not even she could see with her super human eyesight. She scoffed at everything about this horrid cave. Why did it smell so bad? Whose blood made a trail leading down the middle of the cave? Kit stopped very suddenly, pushing her arm across Levi’s chest.

“What is it?” He asked worriedly.

She took her arm away, “I have a bad feeling that this may be a trap.” She gritted her teeth together and examined all she could see.

“What makes you think that?” He searched around, squinting his eyes together to see properly.

“I don’t know, it all seems too coincidental to me. The trail of blood leading right into its lair?” She shrugged and crossed her arms over her chest.

“What’s going on you two?” Stacy asked, rolling her eyes. Kit secretly thought that she liked Levi, but Levi must like Kit and she must be…jealous! Kit shook her head, now was not the time.

“Everything seems way to…coincidental, I just can’t help but think it’s a trap.” Kit shuddered, not being able to summon up what it would be like to have come this far and it was a trap the whole time.

“Well then, I bet you would know.” Stacy scoffed at Kit. “Since you’re the smartest and the best and we’re your…followers.” She rolled her eyes.

“That is not what you are!” Kit raised her voice, so sick of people judging her, of looking her up and down and thinking she was the little know- it- all.

“Then what are we.” Stacy challenged, spreading her arms out.

“You are helping and I hate it when people think everything is a challenge. Get this, people are close to dying here and we are all helping them Stacy! I actually care about them and my best friend is down there!” Kit kept on raising her voice, wondering whether it was something that Stacy wanted to happen.

“I care as well.” Stacy cowered, her voice becoming small.

“You try being in my place and I can tell you...it’s not easy.” Kit said, then turned her back and continued stomping down the cave again. Not worrying about the loose gravel below her feet, she didn’t worry whether she would fall over.

Stacy shut up after Kit said that and she couldn’t be more grateful for it. The girl didn’t stop yapping and carrying on. She needs to learn that life doesn’t come easy, everyone has to work to become as good as they are and that’s exactly what Kit has been doing her whole life!

A moment later, Levi was beside her, he laid his arm around her shoulder. Kit leaned her head against him, wanting to just stay there forever. Anything to make her not face the beast, anything to slow the minutes away she is from dying.

Levi had been the only one who has ever seen her cry and that was the other night after everything crumpled before her. That was the day Kit woke up to reality and realized that she would never get what she had always wanted…to be normal. She had thought about it all the time. On the days that she was couped up on the window seal, staring at the drops of thick rain that fell from the sky.

Right now though, when she was with Levi, everything felt normal and that’s what she always wanted to happen. “Thank you,’ Whispered Kit into his ear.

“Anytime.” His voice brushed her across the cheek, she felt a flutter in her stomach, not the type she got when she was about to do something dangerous, but something else…what was it though?