8. Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?

The station wasn't far. They were just in time to buy tickets for the last train south. As his friends climbed on board, Percy said, "Be with you in a sec," and ran back into the station.

He got change from the gift shop and stood in front of the pay phone. He'd never used a pay phone before. They were strange antiques to him, like his mom's turntable or Chiron's Frank Sinatra cassette tapes. He wasn't sure how many coins it would take, or if he could even make the call go through, assuming he remembered the number correctly.

Sally Jackson, he thought.

That was his mom's name. And he had a stepdad... Paul. What did they think had happened to Percy? For their own protection, he couldn't tell them what he was doing. He'd just said he'd be away for a long while. But they deserved the truth now.

He picked up the receiver and punched in a New York number—his mom's apartment. Voice mail. Percy should have figured. It would be like, midnight in New York. They wouldn't recognize this number.

Percy could have tried a dream message or something godly, but he thought this was a better option anyway. He was her son, first and foremost. He wanted to do things the mortal way with his family—Sunday dinners, babysitting Estelle—that was important to him. Only time would tell if he could take part in their lives that way.

Hearing Paul's voice on the recording hit Percy in the gut so hard, he could barely speak at the tone.

"Mom," he said. "Hey, I'm okay. Hera had this plan that required me to be away for a while, protecting demigods. But she had to take my memory, and..." His voice faltered. How he could possibly explain all this? "Anyway, I'm okay. I'm sorry. I'm on a quest—" He winced. He shouldn't have said that. His mom knew all about quests, and now she'd be worried, immortal or not. "I'll make it home. I promise. Love you."

He put down the receiver. He stared at the phone, hoping it would ring back. The train whistle sounded.

The conductor shouted, "All aboard."

Percy ran. He made it just as they were pulling up the steps, then climbed to the top of the double-decker car and slid into his seat.

»-«-»-«-»-«

Thanatos smiled and lifted his manacled wrists. "You're right, Frank Zhang. Sacrifices must be made."

Great. If Death approved of his plan, Frank was pretty sure he wasn't going to like the results.

The giant Alcyoneus stepped forward, his reptilian feet shaking the ground. "What package do you speak of, Frank Zhang? Have you brought me a present?"

"Nothing for you, Golden Boy," Frank said. "Except a whole lot of pain."

The giant roared with laughter. "Spoken like a child of Mars! Too bad I have to kill you. And this one... my, my, I've been waiting to meet the famous Percy Jackson."

The giant grinned. His silver teeth made his mouth look like a car grille.

"I've followed your progress, Patron of Demigods," said Alcyoneus. "Your fight with Kronos? Well done. Gaea spares you because she recognizes your potential even though she hates you above all others... except perhaps for that upstart Jason Grace. I'm sorry I can't make you fade right away, but my brother Polybotes wishes to keep you as a pet. He thinks it will be amusing when he destroys Neptune to have the god's favorite son on a leash. After that, of course, Gaea has plans for you should you refuse to join her."