you

🃏 𝔱𝔥𝔯𝔢𝔢 🃏

❝𝑒𝓉𝒾𝒶𝓂 𝒸𝒶𝓅𝒾𝓁𝓁𝓊𝓈 𝓊𝓃𝓊𝓈 𝒽𝒶𝒷𝑒𝓉 𝓊𝓂𝒷𝓇𝒶𝓂❞

𝔸𝕍𝔼ℕ

The first time I'd witnessed true violence was when I was eleven years old.

I can remember being fast asleep and suddenly being awoken by a pair of strong arms that wrapped themselves around me. Like a python, they encased me to the point where I felt as if I was suffocating.

Leo and Cain heard my screams and immediately came running to my aid with zero hesitation.

That's when they realized that one of the security guards my uncle had entrusted with my safety was attempting to kidnap me. Cain removed the knife he always keeps tucked in his belt and plunged it into the man's neck.

My eyes were sprayed with blood and since that day, I've permanently thought that it's the perfect metaphor. My life has become just that—seeing the world through a lens filled with blood and gore.

To this day, I vividly remember the way the red pooled and stained my blush-coloured carpet. The stuffed animal I was holding—the one my mother gifted me in childhood—when he grabbed me had managed to fall in close proximity of the blood and ended up stained so it was tossed away.

Surely just like that man had been.

I'd had nightmares about it for a long time, but eventually, it'd replayed over and over so many times in my head and in my dreams that I believe I grew desensitized to it. It's fucked up, I realize that, but it's what I know.

At this point, I don't know any different.

Perhaps the events that happened that night help explain why I tend to act out. I honestly don't know. What I do know is that I didn't ask to be raised in this environment. I didn't want to be around gangsters and violence and anger, but these are the cards I've been dealt.

And there isn't anything I can do about it.

My cousin Dove is my best friend—and my biggest critic. She's far too soft for this world and I worry for her as she frets about me. She thinks that the incident that night when I was eleven has affected me more than I like to show.

I can't be certain. I try not to think of what it looked or felt like.

Of the idea of what would've happened to me had Leo and Cain not heard me screaming for my life. Being thankful that he couldn't get a hand over my mouth before I was able to successfully call for help.