understand

🃏 𝔣𝔦𝔳𝔢 🃏

❝𝓉𝓇𝒶𝒽𝒾𝓂𝓊𝓇 𝑜𝓂𝓃𝑒𝓈 𝓁𝒶𝓊𝒹𝒾𝓈 𝓈𝓉𝓊𝒹𝒾𝑜❞

𝔸𝕐

When I walk into the front door of the Brooks mansion, Adiv immediately greets me.

It's the middle of the day and though I was expecting to have to come here later today, Adiv called me about a half hour ago and told me to be here as soon as possible. I attempted to ask why and what the rush was, but he either doesn't know, or isn't able to tell me.

Although, I happen to believe it's the former. I reckon he isn't privy to much information, much like myself. If he was, I'd like to think he would've told me. As far as I know, he hasn't been keeping shit from me thus far—he wouldn't, even if he was sworn to secrecy because he knows I wouldn't ever say anything.

The moment I'm able to see his face, I can see that he's nervous. I know him well enough to decipher the way his eyes look.

Adding to the off feeling, he doesn't immediately greet me. "Cain would like to see us."

My heart clenches in the depths of my chest. "Did he say why?"

Adiv shakes his head. "He never does."

If he's been through this before, "Why are you so nervous then? You're freaking me out."

He fidgets with his hands, seeming restless and anxious. "He just seemed—I don't know—tense? He wasn't happy, that's for sure."

When is he ever? I've known the man for a couple weeks now and he's never wearing anything more pleasant than a stoic and stone-faced expression. I can't even imagine the man smiling, let alone actually showing any sort of joyous emotion.

I'm about to ask him more about how to handle the situation, when Leo steps out from his father's office and signals towards us, "Come in. Both of you."

I wanted to question Adiv on how to respond to Cain. If he says something, am I supposed to respond? Is there some sort of unspoken code about how to approach the Don of a mafia? I don't know these things, and though I did my research online, not every Don likes things handled the same way. What might please Cain, won't please the next, and so on.

So what does he expect?

The moment Leo's back is facing us, Adiv and I share a worried glance. I close my eyes for a second to breathe, steeling my nerves. It doesn't do much, but I try my best as I follow my best friend past the barrier and into Don Cain's office, feeling as if I'm descending into the depths of hell.