Prologue & Chapter 1

A/N: I decided to mix the prologue and chapter 1 since the Prologue is short as hell.

Onyx was at her desk studying the map of the Skylands. She was quiet enough that she heard her brother, Gold walk in. His claws scraped against the stone ground.

"Mother wishes to see you." He said, his voice purposefully loud as an attempt to frighten her.

Onyx rolled her eyes "I could hear your scraping claws and thoughts a mile away." She said amused as she turned the page of the book back to the cover. She heard Gold scoff.

Onyx got onto all fours and walked out of the library through the arch and past Hurricane. She figured Mother was in the throne room on her throne as always and she was when Onyx arrived.

She was enormous with thick black fur with even more enormous talons. She was intimidating to say the least. Especially with the Necklace around her neck, the Howlhorn glaring down on anyone who opposed the queen with its diamond eyes.

Onyx walked to the front of the throne where her mother could see her and bowed before saying "Mother, you requested me?" Her nose is still pointing at the ground.

"Yes I did," The queen was admiring her talons and then she looked over at her daughter. "You've been requesting to go to the Skylander Academy, correct?"

Onyx's heart started pumping quickly, what was Mother trying to do?

"Your father and I have decided you can go."

Onyx's heart exploded with joy. She couldn't stop her wings from flapping and the wide smile on her face.

She could see her Mother smile at her excitement with pride shining in her eyes.

"Thank you!" Onyx said

"You're quite welcome." Mother said as her eyes twinkled. Onyx tried to pull herself together and she got into a tight posture.

"When do I depart?" She asked in a monotone voice. Mother kept her smile and said "You depart at dawn."

Onyx smiled widely and she bounced off and down the hallway to her room, Gold soon walked by and immediately turned around and walked beside her.

"So I'm guessing she let you go?" He sounded amused and happy for his sister.

"Yes! Yes she did!" Onyx said as she bumped sides with him "I'm going to be a Skylander!" Onyx practically flapped and flew down the hallway with Gold not too far behind.

"Remember the first Howlhorn to be a Skylander!" Gold reminded

She busted into her shared room with Amethyst, her older sister, who jumped at the sound. "What's got you so excited?" She said in a snarky tone.

"I'm going to the Academy I told you about! So now you can be Queen!"

Amethyst looked happy with the news both for her sister and her own selfish intentions.

"I'm so excited!" Onyx said as she flew upwards and then dive bombed into her bed.

"We can tell!" Hurricane said as he stood in the doorway. Amethyst was busy reorganizing her rings for the fifth time that day.

"When did she say you were leaving?" She asked

"At dawn." Onyx said as she wrapped herself in blankets.

"You want me to help you pack?" Amethyst asked as she didn't bother to look over at her younger sister.

"Sure!" Onyx said as she slid off of the bed. She looked back at the doorway to see not only Gold but King Everest, her father, she immediately got into a strict posture.