I shrugged. "Could just be the underground. It smells like monsters and dead milkmen everywhere."

  "Oh, good," Grover whimpered. "I thought maybe I was wrong."

  "We have to get deeper into the maze," Annabeth said. "There has to be a way to the center."

  She led us to the right, then the left, through a corridor of stainless steel like some kind of air shaft, and we arrived back in the Roman tile room with the fountain.

  This time, we weren’t alone.

🌙🏹࿏

  What I noticed first were his faces. Both of them. They jutted out from either side of his head, staring over his shoulders, so his head was much wider than it should’ve been, kind of like a hammerhead shark’s looking straight at him, all I saw were two overlapping ears and mirror-image sideburns.

  He was dressed like a New York City doorman: a long black overcoat, shiny shoes, and a black top-hat that somehow managed to stay on his double-wide head.

  "Well, Annabeth?" said his left face. "Hurry up!"

  "Don’t mind him," said the right face. "He’s terribly rude. Right this way, miss."

  Annabeth’s jaw dropped. "Uh…I don’t…"

  Tyson frowned. "That funny man has two faces."

  "The funny man has ears, you know!" the left face scolded. "Now come along, miss."

  "No, no," the right face said. "This way, miss. Talk to me, please."

  The two-faced man regarded Annabeth as best he could out of the corners of his eyes. It was impossible to look at him straight on without focusing on one side or the other. And suddenly I realized that’s what he was asking—he wanted Annabeth to choose.

  Behind him were two exits, blocked by wooden doors with huge iron locks. They hadn’t been there our first time through the room. The two-faced doorman held a silver key, which he kept passing from his left hand to his right hand. I wondered if this was a different room completely, but the frieze of the gods looked exactly the same.

  Behind us, the doorway we’d come through had disappeared, replaced by more mosaics. We wouldn’t be going back the way we came.

  "The exits are closed," Annabeth said.

  "Duh!" the man’s left face said.

  "Where do they lead?" she asked.

  "One probably leads the way you wish to go," the right face said encouragingly. "The other leads to certain death."

  "I—I know who you are," Annabeth said.

  "Oh, you’re a smart one!" The left face sneered. "But do you know which way to choose? I don’t have all day."

  "Why are you trying to confuse me?" Annabeth asked.

  The right face smiled. "You’re in charge now, my dear. All the decisions are on your shoulders. That’s what you wanted, isn’t it?"