The Wind's Ride

I nearly forget what I am doing by the time I reach the top. The anticipation killed me a moment later, my heart uncontrollably thudding in my chest.

I look in every direction, the breeze now blowing my hair just as wildly in front of my vision. I couldn't be more blinded and panicked at once. Even worse, the longer this goes on the more certain I am that I am being watched. 

Eyes from above...I think, are viewing me. Perhaps, they have been watching me this entire time. Following above us as we made this tedious journey. 

"Who's there?" I finally call out. Sick and tired of waiting any longer. I think my chest might explode if I don't get this over with. 

No voices respond, only the wind, blowing harder than ever. Embarrassingly, I fall forward, barely catching myself before I roll down half the hill.

The breeze feels as if it is cushioning me into a stop. It takes a moment to get past the dizziness, but I'm soon back to it, even if I am not ready to go back up that hill.

There's even less motivation left than before.

I clench my fists into the grass, digging my fingers into the dirt, letting out any pent up aggression I can while I have the chance.

I stand on my own two feet, barely caring to pull my skirt down all the way or brush the hair out of my face. I just want to stand, and stare at my feet while I climb for a second time.

Then, barely after I've begun, I hear a voice.

"Psyche." The voice is subtle, and coming from no discernible direction.

I whirl my head, heart thumping immediately. It sounded nonthreatening, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm not in danger. Whether or not it is my husband-to-be's voice is yet to be determined as well.

"This way." It urges me, a small gust nudging me forward. 

My eyes widen as it continues on, pushing me up the hill at a faster and faster pace. By the top I am being carried, gently, on a cushion on air. My eyes watch ahead of me, waiting anxiously to fixate on who I am being delivered to, but I still can't see a thing. 

I didn't expect this much back and forth, but I am now equally bewildered and frustrated that we can't just get this over with. Where is the beast?

Once we reach the top of the hill the wind continues on, swiftly taking me farther down the other side of the hill, coasting at an alarming speed. 

"Your husband is waiting for you here." The wind tells me. It's starting to feel like the only way to explain the source of the voice...something I have heard whispers of speaking in tales, but of course something I have never personally experienced. 

It doesn't happen for any unworthy reason. 

I try to close my eyes and calm my racing heart with this instinct. That the wind would never appear to put me in harms way. That just wouldn't happen...unless it is the beast posing as the wind - However that may be possible. 

The wind comes to a rushing stop at the bottom of the other side. My head still remains down, still in denial I am finally at the ending. 

I wait in silence, while the wind slowly sets me back on the ground, patiently making sure I will not fall to my knees. I finally feel it's presence leave, tickling my shin as it goes. A last reassuring touch to part me with. 

Silence continues on. I am finally looking up with still nothing to be seen...there is only something to be heard. 

The subtle flap of wings. 

I only slightly jump at the presence. 

"Please, there is no need to be afraid." The voice is calming against all odds. 

I still take a step back. From what, I don't even know. Feeling the air movement in front of me is enough indication of where the monster must be standing. I leave a healthy six-feet between us while I decide whether or not I should bolt running. 

"A-and why shouldn't I be afraid?" I ask in a whisper, taking another step back, my legs shaking.

"I'm not as monstrous as your imagination would lead you to believe. I'm not as they describe me either." He continues, allowing me to remain as far away from him as I wish. 

"Then why do you not want me to see you? Are you a snake?" I ask, fearing his answer. 

He laughs lightly. "No, but seeing me would ruin everything...in ways I can't explain to you unfortunately. I can promise I don't plan on harming you, and certainly not on killing you." 

"How do I believe you?" 

"I will show you. Overtime. That I would never hurt you." He continues reassuringly, finally drawing closer to me. "If you trust me, I will show you exactly what I offer. A home that you can call your own, completely safe, with everything you could possibly need." 

I let him take a step closer. 

"Riches, gifts..."

"I do not care too much for gifts." I intercept. 

"Oh yes, I know. That isn't what impresses you the most. You have always had everything you needed. Isn't that right?" He adds. 

I nod shyly sensing him drawing closer. "I have."

"But...not so much the genuine admiration, or love that you have been craving?" He suggests. 

I shiver. "...I have received much appreciation-"

"For your beauty, but not your soul. Not your kindness, your humour, your voice, your being. Everything about you that makes you...well, you. You have been unappreciated, underestimated for a very long time. I sense that about you, dear Psyche." He says, the observation striking too close to home. 

My parents. They have always saw me differently than my sisters. As a tool, a prize to be traded one day. I knew that deep down, even as they held me, told me they loved me, tucked me into bed at night as they told me of how beautiful I was. How lucky I was for my looks. I was made as their most precious possession. 

At least that's what they used to think before it became clear that I was clueless. 

I hate even thinking about this. My insides feel like they are crumbling at the realization, knowing the love I received was conditional in more ways than one. The youngest daughter they could spare when I was of no use anymore. 

The sudden stinging in my eyes leads to a tear, one that he quickly catches on my cheek. I gasp at his first contact, but soon relax. 

He chuckles. "Does this feel like the hand of a snake to you?"

I force a laugh, "Not at all..."

"Will you allow me to show you the home I can offer you?" He asks further, tipping up my chin gently. 

I feel a flutter of excitement at the thought, unknowing how I could swayed so easily into trusting someone I can't even see. Someone until a few moments ago, I assumed would be a monster coming to kill me, or forcefully take me. 

"Allow you to?" I say in disbelief. He would allow me a choice?

"Yes. You can choose to come. Or not. It is all up to you." He brushes my hair back from my face. A completely euphoric experience, I have to say. "If you do choose to come with me, I will show you the kind of husband I can be for you."