Chapter 3: Ryker

Ryker was pleased with himself. Jo was going to be so surprised when she returned–as much as he didn't want to spend a minute apart from her if he could help it, Jo going to visit her dad had given him the perfect excuse to plan a surprise.

And as much as he was already enjoying the anticipation of seeing her reaction, he had a feeling he was going to plan as many surprises as possible in the future.

He couldn't wait until the one where he got to surprise her with a proposal.

This wasn't as elaborate, but it was a good way to gauge how Jo reacted to surprises and what she liked. She'd been fussing since exams about the lack of any good place for her to study, and he'd noticed the way mail had piled up in random places throughout the house too. So using the room Jo had once indicated she'd like to make an office, Ryker was building her a desk.

Not just a plank with two legs. Nah. Drawers, shelves above the desk, places for computer cords and chargers–he was almost done building it, then it'd be time to sand and stain. It wouldn't have been possible to finish in a few days if it wasn't for the fact he'd already started it in Brett's garage, originally planning to give it to her for her birthday.

But he'd think of something else for that, he wasn't worried.

It was as Ryker was carrying an armful of future shelves into the house that the connection dropped.

He stumbled, the planks of wood scattering as he caught himself against the stairs–good thing he'd fixed the railing a week ago. Ryker's other hand went to his chest as for a second he tried to orient himself, process what just happened to his body.

The distant tug of Jo's presence was almost non-existent. Ryker stiffened, not realizing how shallow his breathing had become until he sucked in a big gulp of air when he realized Jo was still there. He could still feel her.

But barely.

What the hell had just happened? Ignoring the spilled wood, Ryker sprung up the steps, racing for the cell phone he'd left in the office. She was too far to mindlink, so texting was the next best thing. He had to make sure she was okay.

The last text from her had been not too long ago, telling him she'd safely arrived. She should be fine. What happened? Was there a medical emergency? His fingers flew over the keyboard.

Everything okay babe?

He waited. No dots, no nothing. But she could be talking to her dad...

Our bond just feels weird, just send me a thumb's up if everything's good.

Nothing. He was starting to sweat. Anxiety rising, he gave in and hit Call, hoping her phone wasn't on silent. She had a bad habit of leaving it set to that after their exams, like, not even vibrate–but exams were over now. She should have set it back now.

Nothing.

Okay, think. He knew where her dad lived, but...wait, that's right, he had her dad's number. Ryker noticed lots of older people liked to leave their ringers on loud, so maybe he'd pick up.

No one answered.

Ryker gripped his phone harder, sending tiny cracks across the screen. Forcing himself to open his hand, he tried again, redialing Jacob Scott's number. Breaking his phone wasn't going to do anyone any good. If he didn't pick up, Ryker would try her mom.

While the phone rang, he stretched out his senses toward his and Jo's bond again. She was far away, which always made it more difficult, but this kind of instant dimming–she had to do it on purpose. That, or something was causing it. But what?