Chapter Twenty One

Start from the beginning

"I'll come by the bar tonight and tell you all about my visit?" I leaned my shoulder against the doorway.

Thalia inhaled, what looked like a smile playing on her lips. "Fine."

"Fine." I repeated with a grin.

~●~

"Four hotdogs and I'm still hungry." Paul grumbled beside me. We were on our way to the bar after stopping for food.

"Get something at the bar then." I replied as I spotted the bar sign.

He was saying something else but I paid no attention as I sped up. I could hear the music pounding away from where we were, drunk people shouting close behind. Pushing the door open, I cringed at the sounds while looking around to spot the woman.

There was this intense need to see her, talk to her, confess everything I was feeling. It wasn't the right time, I knew that much, so I shoved those stubborn needs down. Thalia wasn't anywhere I searched with my eyes so I walked to the stools, Paul behind me, and sat.

"I'm gonna wait for Thalia! You can go talk to Larry and Brian over there!" I yelled over the music.

Paul shrugged. "I'll wait!"

We waited for half an hour and still no Thalia showed up. When I saw Layla, I got up and waved my hand to get her attention. It took me a while since she was busy with loud, drunk customers.

"Where's Thalia?!"

Layla gave a careless shrug and leaned towards me. I leaned in too. "Didn't show up. Anything else?"

I furrowed my brows and shook my head. Paul looked at me expectantly and I got up, I knew he was trailing behind me as I quickly walked out of the bar.

"Where are we going?" He asked once the door shut closed, trapping the loud music inside.

"You can stay. I'm going to check on Thalia." I said while walking away.

Hurried steps came from behind me. "I'll come with you. I don't feel like socializing tonight. I'll drop you off then go on my way." He added the last bit when I looked at him.

"Whatever you want."

The walk took longer than usual, but that had to do with my impatience to see if she was alright. I had a bad feeling in my gut, and I was almost always right about that feeling. My steps were quick, a near jog as my breathing increased.

"Not that I mind, but why are we jogging?" The younger man let out an uneasy laugh.

I didn't get the chance to answer, a passing siren paused our jog. When I looked up to the sky I could barely see it, but it was there. Paul and I made eye contact before sprinting off in the same direction of the fire engine. It wasn't until I saw the gym did I realize where the fire came from, which building it came from.

My speed increased as I scanned the gathering crowd. The firefighters were already doing their jobs in bringing out tenants from the small building. I did a quick glance around to see if she was there when I stopped, she wasn't.

"Gary? Is everyone out?" I grabbed him the second I could.

"Not yet, almost. It's spreading fast. Stay back, Jace." He warned and left when captain called.

"Jace, stop!" Paul yanked me back by my arm. "You can't go in." He kept pulling me further away.

"W-what?" I asked breathlessly, not realizing I was headed for Thalia's apartment. I was scanning the crowd again, my chest heaving and aching. "I have...she's not here. Where is she? Let me.....ask," I moved towards the burning building, not minding the flames coming out of it.

"Stop," He stood in front of me. "They're bringing people out, they'll get her out if she's in there. You're not geared up or on duty, Jace. You can not go in there. You'll die."

The thing was, I knew he was right. I also didn't care. Adrenaline coursed through my body, my head barely able to think clearly. They weren't even checking her apartment. Paul held me back when I pushed past him. He was strong, strong enough to go head to head with me but not enough to take me.

"Move and I won't have to make you." I gritted out angrily.

The man squared his shoulders. "Let them do their jobs."

My fist clenched, with every intention of punching his face in. "I'm not kidding."

"Neither am I." He threw back at me.

I moved to swing when I heard her. Soft, childlike and scared. Swiftly turning around, I spotted the woman who had my entire being in crumbles. Thalia stood behind us with knitted brows and a blanket thrown around her body. There were small black marks on her rosy cheeks and she shivered with the cold air.

"Thalia," I breathed out.

Not caring about personal space or if she wanted me to or not, I was soon securing her in my arms. I ignored the tensing of her body and squeezed until she relaxed into me. I could smell the smoke in her hair and knew the exact moment she stopped trembling.

"Kenzie, I can't breathe." She mumbled against my chest.

I felt a slap to my back. "Let her. She was just about to run into a burning building and get herself killed for you." Paul shook his head as he left us alone.

I pulled back but not much. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. I'm okay." She whispered, arms still wrapping around herself.

Thalia got checked out and was deemed free of any damages. It wasn't discussed but she didn't argue when I took her back to my place. In fact, she said absolutely nothing, only kept her arms hugging herself under the blanket.

I said 'thanks' to the kind man that offered us a ride and led the woman up the three flights of stairs. She went right to my sofa when we got in, sitting and removing the blanket. I shrugged off my jacket and hung it up before moving closer.

Something in me ached when I saw her staring down at the teddy in her hands. Thalia gazed at it like it was the most worthy thing to exist. I refrained from asking why she grabbed that out of all things.

"You should get cleaned up. Sleep in my bed tonight. I'll take the sofa." I said softly, taking a seat on the coffee table before her.

"Were you really going to run in there?" She asked without looking up.

"Yes." I replied without hesitation.

"Stupid." The brunette whispered. "I don't want the bed."

"Okay."

-E