Back To Square One

Start from the beginning

“Don’t worry about it, Lilah. Perhaps your health is more important to us now.” Rafael sniffed, trying to make her rest back on the pillow and avoid his daughter from making any movements.

“Why are you giving me extra treatment? What happened to me exactly.” Just then, Lilah noticed something strange.

Her body felt light. She lifted the blanket off her body and what she saw was unbelievable. There was no pregnancy.

“My baby… Where is my baby?” Lilah’s lips slowly rambled. She had never been so shocked and heartbroken in her entire life.

Benita, too, broke down into uncontrollable tears, making her weaker and fragile. Amidst the tears, Lilah glanced at her Dad. His lips shivered like that of a convulsing child. He couldn’t even say anything. A hot pain struck her as… she looked away, hugging her pillow.

The following day. Amaya and Asher walked into Lilah’s ward to sympathize with her. Asher looked sad, he just buried his face in his palms while Lilah wailed in pain. Her mum, Benita, was also there to comfort her. Later, the parents left the ward for Asher and Lilah to talk.

An awkward silence reigned as the mothers stepped out. As if there was nothing to talk about, the both of them sat on the bed avoiding glances.

“I want to go spend some time with my family.” Lilah broke the silence with a voice that was just above a whisper. “That is the best thing to do.”

Asher turned to her, lost for words.

She looked up at the empty ceiling and heaved in her breath. Holding the tears back, trying not to cry in his presence. She just swallowed down the salty tears and sniffed.

“I knew we were going to lose the baby. I dreamt about it.” Lilah paused and wiped out a tear that rolled. “This marriage is a betrayal to my late sister and Conan. We turned against the will of the moon goddess. Losing our baby is the punishment we have to pay and the sacrifice we have to give.”

A quick intake of breath escaped her red, swollen lips as Asher studied her sad face. It looked pink because of her endless crying. Even her eyeballs were equally monochrome. He wanted to wipe her tears away, but he silently watched. It was painful and unexpected.

Her blue eyes finally raised to meet his delicate black eyes that were staring at her. His glittering eyes held tears at their brink. Watching him this way made her cheeks burn more, but Asher’s gaze would not bring back what was lost. The blood rushed to her face, warming it like a sunburn.

“Perhaps it’s time for me to leave.” A sigh seeped from Lilah.

Asher was to take her home from the hospital, but that didn’t happen. Lilah went home to her parent’s mansion. Benita picked her up from the hospital and helped her into their massive compound. Lilah’s blue eyes brightened as she glanced at the Wulfric mansion. It had been seven months since she left, but it felt like she had left seven years ago. She wiped out the tears of joy welling in her eyes as they finally walked inside. Lilah opened her room’s door and climbed on her soft bed. And home felt like home. Where she truly belonged.

Laying on the bed, memories of Asher with tears in his eyes made her feel guilty.

‘What happens when Amaya knows?’ Lilah asked herself, and a voice cried in her head. ‘I shouldn’t have left without saying goodbye.’

***

“There is no need for her to be in that loveless marriage!” A painful tear rolled out of Lilah’s left eye as another followed. Her mum and dad were having a heated argument about what was best for her. She closed her eyes, listening to their voices in her head.

“Benny, who will marry Lilah knowing her past?!” Rafael hissed. “She got drunk and slept with her sister’s mate.”

“Many men,” Benita replied positively. “Our daughter is still beautiful and very young. Let’s keep our hands crossed and pray that things fall in place.” She encouraged.

“Really?” His thick brows raised to his wife in bewilderment. Unsupportive of Benita’s statement.

“Yes, even if she won’t marry her mate, Lilah will surely marry a man who will truly love her and not a man Asena loved! Let’s agree that Lilah was rejected because of her mistake. Her punishment shouldn’t be that bondage called marriage. An unfortunate marriage is worse than no marriage at all!”

Lilah placed her head back to the bed, cuddling her pillow. She was drowning in the ocean of her unending sorrows.

“Alright, I’ve said mine!” Rafael concluded as he walked out of their bedroom.

Lilah knew all that was happening. She could sense them by just listening. And even after their argument, she couldn’t help but blame herself. It was the first time her parents disagreed.