|53| Cemetery Visit

"What's her favorite song?"

"Its Running Up that Hill!"

●●●●●

The group consisting of Steve, Dustin, Max, Lucas, and Leah spent the car ride in silence. Max had given a letter to her mother, but when she came back she seemed shaken up.

Steve hit the breaks, and stopped the car at Roane Cemetery, Max stepped out without a word. Leah felt a rush of worry pulse through her. She wanted to talk to Max. So she got out of the car and ran to catch up with the girl.

"Leah, get back in the car" She tells the girl.

"Max, please" Leah begs. "Please listen"

Max finally caves in and lets the blonde talk.

"I know something happened with your mom" She says, Max staying silent. "Was it Vecna?"

"I told you, I'm fine" Max reassures with a small smile. "Okay? I mean, as fine as someone who is hurtling towards a gruesome death can be"

"Max..." Leah trails off, "You know you can tell me anything, right?"

"Yeah. Of course I know that. You and El are my best friends" Max smiles.

"Okay, so why are you pushing me away?" Leah asks. "Okay, look. I don't need a letter. I don't want a letter. Just talk to me. To your friends! We're right here! I'm right here! Okay?"

"Just wait in the car. This won't be long" Max says, walking away.

Leah walks back to the car and sits on the hood, watching her friend sit at Billy's gravestone, talking to him, but Leah can't make out what she's saying.

Lucas gets out of the car and sits beside Leah on the hood, and puts an arm around her, which Leah immediately leans into.

About five minutes go by, and Steve gets out of the car saying, "All right, it's been long enough"

"Steve, just give her some time" Lucas pleads.

"I have, alright, Sinclair?" Steve says, walking to her. "I'm calling it. If she wants to get a lawyer, she can"

Lucas gives Dustin an annoyed look because of Steve's actions, getting a shrug from the curly haired boy.

Leah didn't take her eyes off of Steve, who was now shaking Max's shoulders.

"What the hell?" Leah whispers, getting up from the car.

She runs to the pair and sees Max's eyes rolled into the back of her head, and her eye whites turning red. Lucas and Dustin soon approached.

Everyone starts clapping or shaking her while yelling.

"Max! Max get out of there!"

"Come on, Max! Wake up!"

"Max!"

"Get out of there!"

"Snap out of it, Max!"

Finally, Steve grabs Dustin shirt and yells, "Go call Nancy and Robin! Go! Go!"

And the boy runs to the car as the remaining three stay by Max, still shaking her.

Dustin comes running back with Max's walkman, and about 5 tapes.

"What is this?" Lucas asks.

"What's her favorite song?" Dustin practically screams.

"Its Running up that Hill!" Leah yells, scrambling for the tape. She finally finds it and puts it in the walkman as Dustin places headphones on her head. Leah hits play, and they back up a little bit, and hope for the best.

Max flys up over the groud. "Holy shit!" Leah yells.

"What's happening?" Dustin screams.

After about a minute, the girl eyes jolt open, and she falls to the ground. She starts breathing heavily and searching around the ground. Leah wraps her arms around her and Max puts her hands around Leah's arm.

"I thought we lost you" Dustin says.

"I'm still- I'm still here" Max chokes out.

A/n

Not me forgetting to update yesterday 😭😭

Also took me 10 minutes to figure out a name for this chapter

605 words