𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫.

𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐈𝐑𝐄. | 𝟎𝟏.𝟎𝟒.

"𝐀𝐦 𝐈 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐠𝐧𝐢𝐳𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞?"

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑: 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐎𝐃𝐘.

–––

STARING AT THE CEILING JUST SO HAPPENS TO BE THE ONLY THING ALEXANDRIA KANE CAN DO EFFECTIVELY WITHOUT FUCKING IT UP. 

Restless: it's all Alex has felt recently. Sleeping has become a burden rather than a comfort or necessity. The ceiling, although bleak, was relaxing. The longer she stared, the more interesting it became. Between the way that her eyes and mind played tricks on her by creating colorful, mesmerizing shapes and designs that kept her preoccupied—consciously. Though, her deeper thoughts ponder themselves out—or fail to. Either way, her brain keeps her awake at night, thinking of everything it's ever done wrong—which, unsurprisingly is quite literally everything. Her mind tortures itself—even if she's grown used to it, or is just unaware, or both, it causes damage, severe, painful, burdening damage. 

In the morning, she—obviously—feels restless. So, it's no surprise, that she almost falls down the stairs when her eyes close for a moment—or multiple—too long. Alex slowly and carefully stumbles down the stairs. Sadly, to further ruin her day—life, she's greeted by Arthur with a newspaper, coffee, and a smile, "Good morning, Alex." 

"Morning, Arthur." She nods wearily. 

"Coffee?" he gestures to the pot, to which she approaches, confused by his impeccably wonderous mood. 

Was he smiling? Alex's eyes inwardly widen at the revelation, "What happened?" 

"Hm?" he hums, eyes trained on the paper. 

"You seem . . . happy." 

He lets out a chuckle, "Yeah, it's a delightful thing, really. I got a promotion at work." 

"Oh." She nods, "That's . . . great, Arthur." 

"It is, I've been working for it. I deserve it." He takes a bite of his bagel; his voice cocky and ignorant, "You sleep well?" 

"Uh, yeah, i—it was fine. You?" she responds softly, not wanting to rupture his giddiness. 

"Oh, well, I slept great. Fantastic, even. Thanks for asking." He smiles, such a foreign thing for the man, "Would you like anything to eat?" 

"Uh, no, it's fine, Arthur. Thank you." She forces a smile. 

"Oh, all right." He pauses, "Did you hear what happened?"