8. We Fell in Love in October

Start from the beginning

~~~~~~

We were climbing on the Knee. "The earliest witches came to the Knee to develop their magic, drawn to its natural power." Mom explained. When we got to the top, Luz gasps. "It's beautiful!" Luz told us. And she was right. I have been here thousands of times and I will never get used to its loveliness. "Though it's never without its dangers." Mom pointed to the side. Luz screamed. "It's a Slitherbeast! As long as you don't hurt him, he won't bite." I told her. We walked over to a clear spot. "Here's where we'll set up shop." My mom put her staff in the snow. "I'll definitely learn my second spell here. Gorgeous views, magic in the air, and best of all, we're completely alone!" She shouted the last reason.

A fireball came toward Luz and I pushed her away. I got my staff ready but I noticed who it was. "Sorry, Y/n!" Amity shouted. "You're fine!" I yelled. "Forget teaching me a spell, just make me disappear." Luz covered her face with her hands. "Oh, you will be okay, Luz," I told her. "Who are you talking to?" Edric asked me. "Luz," I replied. "Oh hey, Luz!" Edric and Emira waved. I walked over to the twins. "What are you guys doing here?" Emira asked me. "Oh just training my favorite human." I shared. We walked over to Amity and Luz and the twins invade the conversation. "Oh, Mittens. That's impossible." Emira told her.

I took a seat in the snow. "She still needs to use a training wand to learn new spells," Edric added. "So what are you working on? Something powerful?" Edric asked. "Yep! Powerful spells! I'm working on one that's so crazy. Eda's a pretty incredible teacher." Luz shared. "Luz, I shall now teach you how to identify different types of snow by taste." She had a basket of snowballs in her hands. Luz looked at her concerned. "Well, come on! Eat the snow." Mom shoved the snowball in Luz's face. "Is this some type of special magic?" Em asked. "Ahem, I don't think the Owl Lady wants to show us any of her powerful spells." Amity assumed.

I look back at my mom to see her mouth filled with snow. She swallowed them and held her head. "Brain freeze! Brain freeze!" She shouted. "See you around, ladies. Good luck with your training." Em slapped a snowball out of Edric's hands and they headed to their camp. "Eda! Can you take this seriously?" Luz begged. "You need to take me seriously! Go taste snow without my guidance. See where it gets you." Mom invited. "Luz, I know her ways are unusual but I learned from her and watch." I made a spell ring using both my hands and it shot a massive ball of fire. Luz gasped at the burning trees. "Just trust her. Now I need to heal these poor trees." I mumbled the last part.

~~~~~~

I sat next to my mom while she was drinking whatever what in her cup. "Okay," Luz walked over to us. "I've identified the smells of three different rocks, sorted all the twigs from big to small. And found your glove. And your hand." She showed us mom's hand. "Oh, I was wondering where that went." Mom screwed it back on. I saw Luz looking at something but then waved.

"Hey, I know her ways are weird but, this is what wild magic is about. You have to make a connection with nature." I told her. "Yep! The earliest witches understood that. Human witches need to understand it too." Mom added. "You wanna learn a second spell?" Mom asked her. "With all my heart." Luz smiled. "Then you have to learn from the island."

Mom brought her to a rock facing the rest of the titan. "Now look and think about what the island is trying to tell you... Y/n let's go." She instructed as she left. I ran up to catch up with her.

~~~~~~

I was by the Slitherbeast and I whistle. The beast ran over to me and I pet him. "Good boy." I smiled. He lays down and I continue to rub his head. I don't know when the Slitherbesst started to tolerate me but when it did I would usually give it food. Now he is fine if I'm here and doesn't try to attack me.