Clearing in the Woods

Start from the beginning

You and Nancy ended up falling asleep on the couch as Family Ties played in the background. You woke up to see Holly sitting in front of you as she held a book in her hands. You saw that Nancy was gone and you assumed she went to shower already. You let Holly read to you as you waited patiently for Nancy to come downstairs so that you could also shower. Holly was just finishing the book when Nancy came back downstairs and let you know that you could shower now.

After your shower you went back downstairs. Nancy was on the phone as Mrs. Wheeler held  up a plate for you so that you could get breakfast. Nancy approached the table and began eating her breakfast as she sat beside you.

"So, I was thinking that tonight we could invite Robin over and watch some movies and have like a girl's night." You nodded excitedly, your mouth being too full of waffles to actually speak.

"We would have to go rent the movies and pick up Robin from work." Your face fell slightly, you desperately wanted to see Steve but, you weren't sure if you were ready for that.

The rest of the day went well. You went shopping for nail polish and snacks, Nancy took you to see some of the party. It was a good start to your day.

It was time to pick up Robin. You and Nancy patiently waited outside for her. Neither of you wanted to go in, Keith gave Nancy the creeps and you didn't want to see Steve jest yet.

When Nancy called Robin earlier this morning and explained that you were still feeling tender about your breakup with Steve, she understood and made it her mission to get out as fast as possible.

Inside Family Video Robin was rushing to get stuff put away. Steve noticed her odd behavior, she was wiping the counters off, putting away movies in the return pile. They still had 10 minutes until they were supposed to close. He even saw her renting out a stack of movies.

"What's got you in a rush, Buckley?" Steve quirked up an eyebrow.

"I'm hanging out with some friends tonight, dingus." She sped past him, tripping slightly, as she went to bag up the movie stack she rented.

"Who?" As far as Steve knew, Robin's friends were the same as his and he couldn't recall any plans being made for tonight.

"Y/n and Nancy. They're outside waiting for me so, I gotta go! Bye, dingus!" Robin left quickly, running to Nancy's car as Steve stood in the middle of the store shocked. You were in Hawkins? And nobody told him? He locked up and immediately drove to the Henderson's. He rapidly knocked on the door, he knew that the party would be there tonight. Dustin opened the door and Steve walked in and looked for Mike. He found the boy sitting on the couch, eyes focused on the tv in front of him.

"How long has Y/n been staying with you?" Mike tried to avoid the slight glare that was making its way to Steve's face.

"Like 2 days, she's here for spring break. We all saw her earlier today." Mike shrugged off the last part of his sentence like it was just something so casual. Steve looked around the room at the rest of the children. They avoided his saddened eyes, they were all feeling slightly guilty now. They knew how much Steve regretted fighting with you, they knew how much he missed you, and they kept this from him.

"Nancy asked us not to tell." Dustin quickly gave up the information at the sight of a sad Steve.

"Why?" That was all Steve could say. He wanted to know why everyone but him got to see you. He knew that your break up was something that neither of you wanted, he knew it was hard for you too. Robin had mentioned before how she was up late consoling a friend and that's why she was late for work. Steve knew that you were the friend she stayed up late consoling.