chapter 7 glazed over water

as gulfs consciousness slowly returned, he heard muffled voices all around him. the last thing he remembered was he was kneeling before the emperor and due to the overwhelming scents he inhaled and the uncomfortable feeling he felt, then after that... nothing. maybe he passed out.

as his body slowly awakened to the sensations around him, he felt warmth on his left hand and touched something soft in the other. gulf thought he maybe did faint and now he was in bed.

did they sent him back?

did he displeased the emperor in any way?

he couldnt remember any disrespectful act he might have committed.

did the emperor changed his mind about him?

maybe hes not the mate he was looking for.

those thoughts ran through his mind and he didnt know what he felt that time but it sends a sharp knot in his heart. though his eyes are closed, he felt a tear escaped from his face. but then again, someone with a warm hand cupped his tear stained cheek and gently wiped it with that hand. gulf felt somewhat familiar with the sensation that it seems like one of his beautiful dreams. once he felt it retreating, he leaned into it halting it midway off his skin. he then heard a light chuckle beside him.

"i know youre awake my empress, can i see your beautiful eyes, love?" mews amusement at his sleeping beauty could not be hidden much to his desciples shocked faces behind him. they never saw the emperor much enamored by anyone. even at the time when he was presented so many concubines for his pleasure, he only have taken a glance at each of them and never touched them. but in the presence of this unknown who the emperor claimed to be his empress, the vicious alpha emperor that they knew, melted. they resigned that their own fate rested now on the empress' judgment on them as his servants.

hes still here. that voice. he didnt leave me. gulf thought still with his eyes closed. hes so afraid that once he opened his eyes, it will be just a dream.

a shuffle sound of fabric to fabric governed the quiet room, moments later gulf felt that warm hand again on his face.

"hush, love. im here. wake up please." mew said now sitting beside his mate with his forehead on top of his beloved.

slowly gulf opened his now normal chocolatey brown eyes. they met mews grayish black ones. though mew is an alpha and had a very dominant gene within him, once he was at the prescence of his mate, everything seems to dessipate. he was a puddle for his beloved.

gulf unknowingly reached out to mews face as if wondering who this man could be that made him feel this warm and protected. he watched his probing fierce eyes that could make anyone cower but for him, he feels like this angle was his personal cradle. far from his mothers kind eyes or his fathers protective ones, the eyes before him screams longing and love thats very alien to him. never had he laid a second glance to anyones soul like this. this man before him bares his weakness. without fear of judgment or cowardice to anyones criticism. he is his own man. one youll see no end if he was ever crossed with. gulf felt fear, yes. with all the what ifs in the world, his heart felt tons heavy and his tears ones again fell.

"whatever youre thinking, my empress, please bear in your heart that this man before you is all yours. i may not be perfect, but i can try to be one for you." mew said with all the patience that he could muster. he was not a very patient one but when it comes to his mate, anything he wants, he'll give.

"b-but-" gulf started but sounded hoarse.

"its okay, love. know that wherever you will be in this empire, youll be safe. whoever crosses you, crosses me. your voice will be the only one i would trust and im very much will be pleased if you do so for me, too." mew said in a low voice only gulf could hear making the conversation more personal and privy only to them.