You've Got Mail (From the Outbox)

Listen to Paper Hearts by Tori Kelly
from the Acoustix 3 album.
•••

<Sent

From: Maria Leonor G Robredo
To: athbaraquel@yahoo.com
26 June 2022 at 19:36

From MLG with love.

My dearest Ana Theresia,

There were only three times in this life time that I have fallen in love with you — yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

In my reminiscense, yesterday were those happy days, especially the moment when we first met. Then, the moments after, when we bonded as good friends. Best, in fact — thanks to the 2016 Presidential elections where our frienship blossomed most, followed by some years of navigating until we reached an understanding that opened us up to a lifetime of possibilities. I've never had a girl crush until you, and out of all the crushes I've ever had you're the only one that I felt like I couldn't let go. I've always had this crazy fear of rejection but with you I fought my fear until I got the courage to confess my undying love for you, and being with you have been the best years of my life. This is my fave pic of us nga, oh:

Today, my undying love stands still

Today, my undying love stands still. I typed this out as an email to save on my drafts, to remember that our relationship may have been short lived but was by far the best I've ever been on after Bok. Ris, after my beloved husband, you have been the only one to capture my heart perfectly, and I honestly don't regret being in a relationship with you because you taught me a lot and you've given me the confidence that I never thought I'd ever have. You made me see not just myself but the world too through your eyes and it was such a great view. Throughout the years that we had been together, I felt that our love was so pure and unconditional and each time that I looked into your eyes I could see us together for the rest of our lives. But as we know now, when things are fast-paced, things change. We forgot what matters most. We slowly drifted apart. You got busy with work, and so did I. Our responsibilities took over us and we lost ourselves in the flow of our careers.

Today, I sat here in my office, thinking about you. Four days before my term ends, and I received a letter from your office. According to the letter, you wanted to do your oath-taking with me. It will be a privelege but I can't bring myself to send you a message, instead, I still asked my personnel to send your office a letter back. For the rest of the day, I have asked for further appointments to be canceled, Ris. I scanned through photos of us instead, reminiscing all the good times we've had with memories playing in my head. Sweet, sweet memories of us. I miss you, pangga. I miss us.

Today, for the first time in a while, I remembered just how gleeful the past few months have been — the fleeting moments, the warmth of your presence. But I know, I do know — someone else has already provided you the support you need. You have already found your rest. Someone who isn't me. Someone who will be there for you when you need them most.

My beautiful Risa, I am still enamoured by you. You still have my heart, and soul, and my whole being. Mahal na mahal pa rin kita, pangga. Funny how things work, no? You only realize the loss when it's way over. You realize what you've let go or missed out on when it's too late. How I wish I've been there more. How I wish I've— hays. I can only wish. This is my fave pic of you:

Ris, for the rest of my tomorrows, you will be my heart's desire

Ris, for the rest of my tomorrows, you will be my heart's desire. I am here for you. I'll love you from afar. I'll support your every endeavour. You have me for all eternity.

Tomorrow, I'd still be in love with you.

Tomorrow, I'd be a better person because you have inspired me to.

Tomorrow, ikaw pa rin ang isisigaw nitong puso ko. Mamahalin pa rin kita kahit hindi na ako, kahit mayroon nang ibang nagpapasaya at nagpapangiti sa'yo.

Tomorrow, I will do my best to make you proud. Hindi man tayo hanggang dulo, hindi man ako ang huli sa buhay mo, pero ikaw ang sa akin. You will be my best, and last.

My Risa, thank you for the times we've spent together. Thank you for the calls and texts until half past three in the morning. Thank you always making me smile and laugh as much as I did. Thank you for giving me the confidence I have now and for helping me believe in myself. Thank you for all that you've done for me and for helping me to put my insecurities aside and encouraging me to work on my hopes and dreams for the future of this country. Look naman, OVP is the highest ranking office as we were granted an unqualified opinion by the Commission on Audit for the 4th straight year. So, salamat.

You are the lone oppositionist, but you have great support. That's a promise. The responsibility may be hard and the pressure may be too much at times, but I hope you're happy with how the results came about. Kasi ako? I am very proud of you, ga.

I also hope that you are happy the way your life is right now.
I wish only the best for you and I want you to know that I'll always be here for you just like I had promised I would when we were still together. A lot has happened and a lot of things have been said but I want you to know that my opinion of you hasn't changed , you're still one of the most amazing people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting in my life.

I wish you all the best.

Patuloy na nagmamahal — yours,
MLGR

~~~

Moments later, her phone pinged.

Leonor, ang tanga lang 🤦🏻