Chapter 3: No more

My chest tightened.

I struggled to breathe as my heart started to bruise my ribcage.

My eyes were focused on Ranger...or whoever he was pretending to be. Why didn't he tell me he was going to use a phony name?

Hang on...How do these guys know him? And why would Nightwing be on the name list?

If Ranger was planning to pretend to be Nightwing, why didn't he mention it to me before we left New Jersey?

My mind backtracked to when we got off the plane: He had said; long time no see....

Cortez's grin creased the thin skin of his scar as he looked me up and down. I took in a few deep breaths to stop my stomach from heaving when he stepped a foot closer in my direction.

"Nightwing..." He growled softly without looking at Ranger. "I didn't know you were bringing a guest."

Our eyes were locked, paralysing me.

Pedro made an over dramatic bark of laughter that broke our contact. I mentally crossed myself.

"Oh mi! Lo siento, Novio. I have forgotten my hospitality. What would mi mama say? Cortez, this encantadora dama is Stephanie."

Ranger's hand slid around my waist. He pulled me in front of him, wrapped one arm over my front and placed his free hand on my neck with his thumb stroking the hollow of my throat.

Usually, I would instantly feel safe being in his arms but the way he held me wasn't like the embrace that made me believe I was out of harm's way. His grip was so hard and possessive my back was pressed firmly against him.

I peered up at him over my shoulder and noticed the frightening change in his eyes- feral and harsh.

"Stephanie and I have been buenos amigos for some time but now she has become...mi amante. Usted entiende to que quiero decir?"

All three of them laughed, grinned and wolf whistled. I really needed a bucket.

"Also," Ranger continued. "I don't share." His grip tightened.

There was silence for a beat before Ezio spoke for the first time. "Aw but Nightwing, you'll have to forgive us in advance if we make any attempts." He licked his lips as he looked at me. "Stephanie is muy beautiful but when it is just us, so are Cortez and Pedro."

Okay, if they said anything else I was gonna hurl.

Ranger moved to my side with his arm still around me. "I am going to show Stephanie to our room. Vamos a necesitar un poco de ropa."

They all nodded as he guided me down the hall.

We rounded 2 corners until he stopped and opened a door. He led me in to a bedroom which looked like a setting from a cheesy romance movie I used to watch in college.

The floor was tiled with terracotta and the walls were a warm cream colour. A black iron king sized bed stood in the middle of the room with blood red sheets.

I noticed 2 other doors on my left as Ranger closed the door behind us.

He took off his jacket and headed to the one furthest from us which turned out to be a walk-in-closet. He opened it and took out a coat hanger.

I watched him hang his jacket before he turned around and looked at me with pure nonchalance.

"That's the door to the ensuite bathroom if you want to freshen up." He said, nodding towards it.