Balance the scales

"Harrow said you were a mercenary." Steven accuses. "That you killed hostages."

"And you believe that?" Marc asks

"Yeah. Wouldn't put it past you." Steven says. I stand up and walk over to the small child that's shouldn't have been there a few feet away. Head between their knees sobbing for their mom and their dad.

I put my arm around them, my hand getting covered with the blood on their arm from getting grazed by a bullet. I still have the scar. They can't feel it, but I can, I wish someone would have been there to comfort me then, though everyone was dead or dying other than Marc's partner.

"Turns out going AWOL in a fugue state gets you discharged from the military. Didn't have a ton of options after that, so I went work-for-hire for my ild CO Bushman. The job was to raid an Egyptian tomb. But bushman changed the plan, called for no witnesses, and I couldn't live with that."

"Is that doctor El-Fouly?" Steen asks, walking up to one of the bodies "Layla's dad."

"I tried to get them all away." He sighs.

"Not your Fiancé, or your kid." I call out, standing up and wiping my own blood on my clothes.

"I did try." He says. "And there was a survivor."

"Yeah, whoopee, I stayed alive. And ended up essentially an orphan." I say, all pity and friendship that had been built was thrown out the window.

"You brought your child to raid a tomb?" Steven asks.

"No, my mom brought me, she thought I'd enjoy exploring the digsite."

"How did you survive?" He asks.

"I got shot in the arm, played dead afterwards. Bushman was too dumb to realize I was still alive." I say.

"And what happened to you?" Steven asks Marc.

Marc points up ahead to the temple poking out of the sand.

Marc was crawling across the floor of the temple, and propped himself up on the stairs leading up to a statue of Khonsu, he grunted as he pulled a bloody hand away from his side.

He pulled out a gun and pulled his scarf away from his chin, placing the gun underneath.

"What a waste." A deep voice rang out, I immediately knew it was Khonsu.

"Huh?" Younger Marc asks.

"I feel the pain inside of you." Khonsu says. "Ah. Hmm."

"What the hell are you?" Marc asked.

"I am the god Khonsu, in search of a warrior."

"A warrior. Well, good luck with that." Marc says, his voice tensing in pain.

"To be my hands, my eyes, my vengeance." Khonsu continues. To be my final word against the evildoers. To bind your very being to me and eradicate only the worst, those who deserve it. Do you want death? Or do you want life?"

"I don't know." Marc whispers, staring at the gun in his hand.

"Your mind, I feel it. Fractured. Broken. Most fascinating." I look towards Steven when he says Fractured, which earns me a joking glare. "You are a worthy candidate to serve me during this time. In exchange for your life, do you swear to protect the travelers of the night and bring my vengeance to those who would do them harm?"

"That sneaky old vulture. He was manipulating you from the start." Steven says.

"Rowan." I hear younger Marc say.

"Your c huh old will be protected." Khonsu says.

"Yeah we'll it kept us alive." Marc says, ignoring the part that is probably the main reason we have no relationship.