Chapter Nineteen

Needless to say, the beginning of dinner was awkward, shrouded in an all but comfortable silence. Your father stared at Eddie, no doubt figuring out all the different ways he could tell him to fuck off and never speak to his daughter again. Your mother was painfully aware of the situation and did her best to defuse the situation. 

"So, Eddie," She offered the start of a conversation "What are some of your hobbies?"

Ed put down his fork and wiped his mouth before answering "I'm in a metal band. I've played guitar for forever." He says politely.

  "Oh, music! That's so nice." Your mother says "You know, Scott was in a band when we met." 

Eddie looks over at your dad, who's still quietly planning a way to kill him and make it look like an accident "Really? That's really cool, Mr. Y/L/N." 

"Do you smoke drugs, Edward?" Your father wastes no time in cutting to the chase. 

Eddie chokes on his food before turning to you, signaling that he has no idea how to respond. You shrug your shoulders in response and he looks back and forth between your parents. 

"Well," He starts "I would hate for our first impressions to be based on lies." 

You cringe internally, knowing where this is going.

"I do smoke weed on location." He faces your dad "A bad habit that started when I was in a bad place, I've never been able to kick it." 

You see your dad's stoney exterior crack slightly. No matter how much he might want to dislike Eddie, he felt some sympathy towards him. 

Dinner continues with thin conversation, to which your dad doesn't contribute at all. You gush over how nice Eddie is, how he's talented and funny. You've only seen him play once or twice but you were sure of your allegations. 

It's when your parents emerge from the kitchen with coffee and small tea cookies that Eddie attempts to find some common ground. 

"Y/N told me," He clears his throat "About your situation." 

Your mom snorts into her drink, surprised "I don't know what you're talking about." She takes your dad's hand in her own "We don't have a situation." 

You chose this moment to jump in "Mom, he knows." 

She sighs and drops your father's hand, a boulder seems to be lifted off of both of their shoulders. "Really?" 

"Really." Eddie says "And I want to say, I know a little bit about what you've been through." 

He tells your mom and dad about his ex-boyfriend and about how he was kicked out for failing senior year, but he suspected there were other reasons, too.

At the end of the night, you're filled with jittering anxiety. it was impossible to read either of your parents' faces. You knew your dad knew that you wanted to stay with Ed for a while, but had he told your mom? 

You stand up from the table to make a point "Dad, I want to stay with Eddie." He immediately bristles at your words. 

"Y/N-" He starts, but you cut him off before he can say anything else. 

"Dad, Mom, I feel so much safer at his place. It'll just be for a few days, a week at most." 

Now your mom speaks "I don't know honey, I mean you only just met him. And, no offense Eddie, he is an older man." 

"Please, just trust me." You beg.

"If I could just say something," Eddie tries, but your dad speaks over him.

"Y/N Y/L/N, I decide where you can go, where you can spend the night. And now I'm putting my foot down, you are not under any circumstance, staying with this stranger." 

"He's not a stranger!" You protest "He saved me when those people started hitting me! He's one of the kindest, bravest people I've ever met." 

Eddie looks at you, surprised. He'd never think he'd get this high praise from you. 

"Y/N-" And once again you cut off your dad. 

"Dad," You say with icy coldness "If you don't let me go with him tonight, I'm just going to leave on my own." 

"Honey, please be reasonable." Your mom pleads. 

"Mom," You turn to her "Do you trust him?" You gesture to Ed and grab his hand. 

She thinks for a while before conceding "I'm not sure I do, but you do and that's enough for me, I suppose." 

You dad whirls around to face her "Mary!" 

"She's grown now, Scott! We can't stop her and if she leaves would you really call the police on your own daughter?" Your mom fights.

"I-" Your father isn't winning no matter what tonight because you truly know, your mother makes all the decisions for the house. She holds up a hand to silence him. 

"No, you wouldn't." She continues "And if you called the cops on this young man, I might just tell them exactly how you pulled all those late shits back in '79." 

He looks almost dead with how still he stands "You wouldn't do that to me, right Mary?" 

Your mother is now the ice queen you know her as. Yes, she loves you and the twins dearly, but she only chooses to deal with so much of your dad's shit. You love him, too, but there's no way you'll be denied your request now. 

She looks at you, smiling warmly, her hand still raised in a "Be quiet" symbol "Go pack your things, sweety." She turns to Eddie, still smiling, but her words are hollow and threatening "Go help her. And if you ever, Ever do something I don't approve of around or to my daughter? I will be calling the cops, and I will feel no remorse." 

"Y-yes Ma'am." He stammers out, following you up the stairs. 

She calls up after the two of you "Please, call me Mary." 

Once you're both in your room, he looks at you in shuddering disbelief. "Oh my god." 

"Oh my god!" You repeat, breaking down in laughter. After all, what else was there to do right now? You just witnessed the most badass and the most terrifying moments in your parent's marriage that you've ever been a witness to. It makes you think about what your mom was like in college and if she's mellowed out or tightened up since you were born. Somehow, a little voice inside you says it's a little bit of both. 

You bound up to Eddie and hug him "I can't believe we did it." 

He returns to hug "You mean your mom did it because wow, that was intense." 

You laugh "Yeah I know." You look around your room and at the small suitcase you've pulled from your closet "Help me pack?" 

"Of course, your Majesty." He says, giving you a deep, mocking bow. 

You throw a shirt at him and start grabbing bits and bobs from around your room that you'll need for your stay. You feel like you're walking on air and you can't wait for what the week will hold. 

Neither can Eddie.