Chapter Eighteen

You're woken up by the shrill ring of the kitchen timer feeling well rested. Your ribs defiantly felt a lot better after resting, the protesting sharp pains now dulled to tolerable throbs. You wake up Eddie in a similar fashion as this morning except he thankfully isn't sleeping on top of you this time around. 

"Eddie, wake up we have to get ready." You say softly, brushing hair out of his face. He stirs but doesn't wake fully. 

Instead of continuing to wake him, you take a moment to study his face. He looks peaceful and relaxed. Outside of now and this morning, though you often see him smiling, you've never seen him look so serein. 

It must have something to do with sharing a bed. You tell yourself. There's no way that you affect his mood as much as to improve his quality of sleep. That was impossible. 

Looking at him now, he really was a handsome man. He had a slight rosy look to his lips and cheeks. He also snored softly in his sleep. Now, you had no idea why, but you found this particular detail incredibly captivating. The quiet sounds of his inhale and exhale calmed you, it made you feel like he was truly comfortable around you. 

Your second favorite quality of his, besides his entire personality, was the small cleft in his chin, you found your eyes drifting to it more often than not when the two of you talked. 

Not even thinking to stop yourself, you wiggle your hand out from between the two of you and cup his face, propping yourself up on your other arm at the same time, letting out a relieved breath when he stayed sleeping. You ran your thumb over the dimple on his chin, the tips of your fingers graze beside his eye where the skin crinkles when he smiles. You scrutinize every detail of his face, never wanting to forget this moment. Yes, you were just horribly beat by your "ex", but everything feels perfect right now. 

Finally, in your examination, you run the tip of your thumb over the very edge of his bottom lip, unconsciously biting on your own ever so slightly. To your horror, it's this final movement of memorization that wakes him up. 

You quickly pull your hand away, beet red. 

He exhales heavily and only half opens one eye, a smile already playing on his lips "Watcha doin'?" He asks. 

"Nothing," you say quickly, patting his arm in an effort to get him to move "C'mon we're going to be late." 

He sits up and runs a lazy hand down his face in an attempt to rub away the excess sleep. In the process, he lightly smudges the eyeliner from earlier down his cheeks. You think to yourself that he looks like America's worst mime and giggle at the thought. 

He pays you no mind for ht moment and swings his legs out of the bed, fully stretching out his arms. Once he's up and out of the bed, you're on your way out as well. 

"How's your side feeling?" He asks, running light fingers over the space. 

"I've felt better but I'll live." You answer, his touch sending shivers up your spine. 

He finds that answer to be good enough and the two of you kill time before you have to leave for your parent's house. 

You touch up your make-up and wrestle Eddie to the ground in an attempt to wipe away the stray eyeliner. "I thought you said it made me look punk rock?" He retorted.

"It does," You say, barely keeping in your laughter "But it's all messed up! Let me fix it." 

You were seated on top of him, holding a damp bath towel in one hand and trying to grab his face with your other. Unfortunately for you though, he was much stronger and easily overpowered you, rolling the two of you so now he was on top. 

"Well, well, well," He said, practically purring in your ear "How the tables have turned." 

He was impossibly close to your face now and you could feel your body temperature rising. You sucked in your bottom lip without thinking yet again and your eyes darted to his lips. There was something different about his smile. 

Finally, after much too much time spent staring at each other's lips, you clear your throat and he gets off of you followed by a chorus of sorry's and awkward chuckling. 

All through the two of you getting ready, you quiz Eddie on propper dining etiquette and the topics your parents each liked to talk about. And that he should call him Mr. and Ms. Y/L/N but as soon as they asked he had to call them Scott and Mary. Even when you both got in his van, you were still asking him trivia questions. 

Where did they meet?

What're their names?

What do they each do for work?

And each time he'd answer, indulging in whatever thoughts were prompting you to quiz him so harshly. 

Collage

Scott and Mary

Dad's a banker, Mom's a teacher

After the last one, he smiles and looks over at you, reciting your words from the previous night's talk "Basic as hell." You laugh and lightly hit his arm, telling him that the can't tell your parents that they're basic. 

When you pull up to your house, you're not as nervous as you would have been 2 hours ago. but still, you had a sinking feeling in your stomach that something was going to go wrong. 

You went up and rang the doorbell, Eddie at your side squeezing your hand in reassurance. 

Your Dad opens the door and pulls you into a bear hug right away. You're glad that your pains have subsided or else you would have already been down for the count. 

"Y/N!" He exclaims, pulling back but keeping his hands on your shoulders "You look so... different." He states simply. You're unable to tell if it's a good or bad difference and that kills you. 

He looks past you and at Eddie, his eyes rolling over his figure, trying to gauge his personality off the bat. 

Eddie steps forwards and holds out his hand "Hi, I'm Eddie Munson. Nice to meet your Mr. Y/L/N" 

Your dad shakes his hand "Hey Eddie."  He does the obligatory dad sniff and pants hike before turning back to you "Come on inside, Kid. Your moms missed you like crazy." 

He ushers the both of you into the house, still very clearly skeptical of Eddie as he closes the door behind the two of you.