Chapter 26

Andrew Walker was unconscious. Or at least I thought he was. I had been too afraid to check. Instead I bolted into the back office where they kept medical equipment, shedding my boxing gloves as I ran, before making a mad dash back for the ring, arms full of everything I could find that might be remotely helpful.

Dumping my medical hoard on the ground, I sucked in a breath when I found blood trickling down the side of Andrew's face from a smal cut along his cheekbone.

This day just keeps getting better and better. Em really was right about me making a great piece of for a gossip column. I could keep that girl well fed for YEARS to come.

Crouching down, my hands shook as wiped away the evidence of my crime, covering the cut it in a blue bandaid before placing an ice pack across his cheek with shaky fingers. The cut was small, but shedding his blood left me drowning in a sea of guilt.

What is wrong with me? Why'd I have to get so freaked out? Why did I hit him so hard? We were just playing...

"I'm so sorry Andrew," I murmured, pushing away several hairstrands that had gotten caught under the ice pack. "Please be okay."

"I've been better."

His eyes ocean eyes fluttered open and I could have cried with relief at the sight of them. He was awake. He was breathing. He wasn't lying unconscious on the ground because I had smashed my fist into his face. But instead of crying with thankfulness, or throwing my arms around him, overjoyed that I hadn't destroyed the Single Stud from the dating show I was currently undercover on, all I managed was.... "WHY DIDN'T YOU BLOCK ME?!?" I shouted in a panicked demand.

He winced at my decibel. "You caught me off guard." His eyes finally focused and he blinked up at me, eyes glistening like the sun had just sparkled across their surface. "That is some mean right hook you have there." I could have sworn he looked impressed.

I wasn't sure what to say to that. I had expected him to be furious, or at least be in need of medical attention. Maybe that was why he wasn't mad, I had broken his brain.

Andrew sat up in the center of the ring, staring up at me, actually impressed, leaving me feeling a mixture of pride and embarrassment as I hovered over him, handing him the ice pack to hold over his own face. "I'm sorry... coming here wasn't the best idea."

Andrew smiled, wincing against the ice pack. "Are you kidding? Besides the last moment where you totally demolished me, I'd say this date has been a knock out... of the park."

I snorted, utterly surprised. "Did you just make a pun out of your injury? Maybe I should take you to get your head checked."

"I'm fine. And seriously, this was great. Completely worth the bruise." He smiled, his whole face lighting up, a set of dimples flashing for an instant, transforming his face before he winced against the pain across his cheek. Then his dimples tucked themselves away again leaving me wanting to rediscover them.

I let out a breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding, proud of sticking to my choice to come to such a strange place for a date.

For once, being myself hadn't been too much for someone. And it left me feeling more breathless than the match. I cleared my throat, settling down next to him to inspect the bruise. Removing the ice pack, my fingers brushed his skin and his eyes fluttered closed, brows pinching together. He looked unsteady as his hand suddenly trapped mine against his face.

Andrew opened his eyes, his gaze dark, and the look on his face left me breathless for a whole other reason. "I really am sorry, Andrew," I said quietly. "That hit was uncalled for."

He smiled, fingers wrapping around mine. "I am surprised it took you so long to knock me out. I figure I had it coming ever since I tried talking to you at four o'clock in the morning at that coffee shop. You've been itching to punch me ever since that night."