☆ Thinking Back ☆

"Arthur, mingle a little, try and make 'friends' and see what you can find," said Dutch.

They were at a bar in Annesberg trying to find the next big gig, the one that would earn them the money they so desperately needed. Dutch heard that people in the area knew about hidden treasures, men with wealth, and profitable business so long as they were in the know.

Arthur took a shot of liqueur and rolled his eyes. "Dutch, don't you think this is too much of a risk? We already know the people of this town ain't that trustworthy." He looked over his shoulder to peek at the men and women that laughed and drank behind him.

There was several men, most likely sailors that stopped at the dock, covered in tattoos and taking Swiss of their drinks. Women with low dressed and shortened hems laughed with them, feeling their arms and taking drinks from their own cups, as well.

Arthur shook his head in disapproval. He never liked participating in bar activities, not since he had met Eliza and had his son, Issac; both of whom passed away in a tragic home invasion where their lives were taken. Ever since then, he thought it was best to stay away from the women and mind his own business. Though that did not stop him from thinking of Mary Linton from time to time.

Before Eliza and Issac, she was his only love. They had history together; knew one another as children despite him being an outlaw. Yet, Mary Linton could never accept Arthur for the way he was nor have the strength to stand up to her father who despised him so greatly. But he thought of her often and even wished she was there at his side. She was the best he would ever have, or so he thought.

Dutch grabbed Arthhr by the shoulder and gave him a shake. "Son, you're going to have to put your differences aside for the greater good of the gang, you hear?" He looked into his eyes and waited for confirmation. "I said, do you hear me?"

Arthur paused and took one look at Dutch, the man who raised him, and plainly agreed. "I do, I understand and I hear you, it's just -"

"Then hop to it Arthur; go and mingle with the crowd and find us something good." He then gave him one last pat on the shoulder before taking a swig and walking out the door.

After he left, Arthur pushed away his shot glass and took a better look around. The place looked more rugged that the saloon in Valentine, including the people. So far, since he had been in the town, the people were all out for themselves, never once attempting to make friends or longterm aquaintanship. But, he had to at least try, for the gang's sake.

He walked near a table of men playing poker and was immediately given the side-eye by one of its players. "Hey, whatcha lookin' at, huh?" Said the man with a missing eye. "Go on and scram!"

"I wasn't meanin' anythin'," said Arthur, raising his hands to reveal his empty palms. He then continued to walk to the back where a man wearing a trapper outfit full of bear skin and Buffalo hide with a raccoon for a hat.

The man covered in animal fur rambled and vented his mind outloud to the table. "And then, there's the damn lawmen thinkin' they know what's best for us, the people! I hunt whatever and whenever I want! I don't need any restrictions!" He said, slamming his fists onto the table. He looked to his side and grabbed the woman to his right and pulled her close. "(Y/n), that's your name, isn't it? You understand what I'm sayin' don't you?"

His breath wreaked of alcohol and his teeth were rotten and looked like raisins in his mouth. (Y/n) squirmed but nodded anyway in fear of making the wrong move. She had seen the man come to the bar before; he would seek her out to serve him drinks and pay to have her company afterwards, as well. From their time spent together, it was evident he was a violent man with low tolerance for anything that conflicted with his ideals or goals.