Epilogue

I started eating my squirrel, feeling safe now that Amber was my mate. I twined my tail with his, smiling. I bent down to take another bite of the squirrel, but my belly let out a pain. It had been happening for a few days, like something was kicking me.

"Owch." I muttered, rolling my eyes.

Amber let his tail-tip rest lightly on my shoulder, and I smiled.

"Let's go to Ember," He suggested. "He's the expert."

I nodded. We padded toward the small hole in the ground, which led to a wider tunnel, which led to a den. I pushed out through the tunnel, spotting Ember.

"What's up?" The gentle fox asked. "Another pain?"

I nodded. "That medicine isn't doing any good."

After Ember checked me over, he did it again, asked me how long it was happening for and if the pain increased.

"You're probably pregnant." Ember told me. "It makes sense."

Me and Amber smiled at each other, a feeling of love for our unborn kits beginning to sprout.

Then I froze.

Blurring images and colours flashed past my eyes, and I stumbled to the ground.

"From the tiniest kit of the warmest sun, to the fiercest warrior of a savage hero, all will either thrive, or smash to shards."

I blinked open my eyes, noticing I was on the ground, Amber standing worriedly beside me. I got up, but said nothing.

"Are you okay?" Amber whispered. "Was it a vision?"

I just gave him what I had heard. "From the tiniest kit of the warmest sun, to the fiercest warrior of a savage hero, all will either thrive, or smash to shards."

"It's a prophecy!" Ember barked. "But does that mean the first one's fulfilled?"

I tilted my head. "First one?"

"It doesn't matter." Ember murmured. "I'll figure out this prophecy soon, okay? Just until then, you might want to protect your kits."