Chapter 8

Amber was pinning Shard to the ground, but froze at my voice. His eyes flickered to me, and he winced as I looked on in shock. Amber swiped one paw across Shard's neck, instantly biting after it.

"What-I-I-What-No-Amber-I-what?!" I spluttered, barely understanding myself at the sight of Shard lying on the ground, bleeding.

Amber frowned. "It's not what it seems like."

With that, her friend dashed away swiftly.

"What? I can't believe... Why..? I can't..."

A tail tip rested lightly on her shoulder. "It was for the best."

I spun around, seeing Ember with a calm expression.

"For the best?" I gasped in disbelief. "For the best? You're crazy! Amber's crazy!"

Without realising I couldn't control myself, I struck Shard's motionless form, and instantly the wounds disappearing and she opened her eyes. I ignored Ember's shrieks of disbelief. I then realised. My body was controling me. My anger was.

Without stopping, I shot away at lightning speed, focusing on Amber's scent trail. I couldn't stop. I couldn't prevent what happened next.

"Amber!" I shrieked, spotting him.

Amber spun around, widening his eyes. I tried stopping myself, but it was no use. My powers were out of control. My mouth was moving by itself. Then I knew why Holly and Shard wanted to lock me up. I knew what I was now.

A monster.

"Amber!"

I spun around, widening my eyes. Winter was dashing towards me, lightning sizzling out of her paws. I remembered. Did it go like this?

When no one expects, the enemy will come.
When the end is near, everyone will be done.
But under the moonlight, a hero arises.
And at one cold moment, freeze will the ashes.

I looked up. The sun was beginning to set. I willed for the "hero" to arise. Suddenly, water flashed towards me. I shrieked as salty water rushed into my mouth. I resurfaced, glancing around. Water was splashing everywhere. My head went under again. I tried to call for help, but the floodwater silenced me. I looked beside me. And, to my confusion, Winter was kicking and struggling against the waves, shock and panic making her efforts worthless. I suddenly lay limp, letting the water stretch my body around.

"Amber."

I opened my eyes. Winter was beside me... Well, swimming. Wait, swimming? In a flood?

"Hblow?" I tried to say, water making me try to splutter. "Hblechw ware blyou awswimling?"

Again, water was changing the things I was saying. But Winter seemed to understand me?

"I have powers, remember?" She murmured. "That's how I talk, swim, breathe and understand you underwater. Hm, maybe I can.."

Suddenly, my chest stopped aching. I found out I could breathe.

"How?" I barked, realising I could talk as well.

Winter sighed. "I gave you some power, but it only stays with you for fifty minutes."

"Oh, okay." I nodded.

Winter swam forward. "Follow me."

I swam after her, noticing that the flood had turned to a peaceful lake. And that lake seemed to be sinking into the ground. When we were finally out of the water, I shook out my fur, sending drops of water around.

"Hey!" Winter chuckled, shaking her wet fur too. "Watch it!"

We sat beside each other for a few moments, the silence comforting us.

If only we could forget everything serious like this all the time. I thought, knowing Winter was thinking the same thing.

"Amber?" Winter murmured at last. "Do you think everything will ever be normal again?"

I looked at my paws. "Maybe not."