Chapter 4

"No-Pelts!"
Amber's frightened cry sent a shiver through me. I glanced up at the strange creatures. Did I use to be those ridiculous things?! I thought Amber looked better. If there was anything I didn't want to be, it was a No-Pelt. But then, maybe I liked being tall, standing on hind legs and having no fur. I flinched as Amber stood his ground and, though fear was clear in him, he let out a challenging growl. He turned to me, worry in his eyes.

"You," Amber whined. "Can do what is unknown to me. Maybe the No-Pelts will know you are one of them and not hurt you...?"

I nodded, turning to the No-Pelts. I looked deeply into their eyes, trying to do something. I am one of you...

Halise!

I widened my eyes. Pain shot through me and my vision blurred. Then I heard a scream. All I saw was a blurr of the rushing No-Pelts and Amber. Then there was a flash of confusing colour and light. Then I blacked out.

"Halise! Come! Can you hear me? Halise!"

I blinked, confusing colours and light blinding me. Then it was clear. A fox stood a few spaces away from me, crying into the forest.

"Halise! Please!"

I got up and ran over to the fox. It was Shila. Was it only in dreams that I remember my name and everything else?

"Shila!" I murmured.

Shila turned, tears streaming down her cheeks. "Lily?"

"Yes it's me, Lily." I sighed. "But who's Halise?"

Shila lowered her head. "You do not know him. He is important. But I can't fi-"

"Halise is gone."

I spun around, spotting that brute of a black tabby. Culu!

"What do you want?!" Shila growled.

"What I said." Culu snickered.

Shila flattened her ears. "What have you done with him?!"

"Dead. Your mate is no more." The black cat murmured. "I did it myself."

I widened my eyes. This is horrible! I didn't like this. "You'll regret it!"

With a smirk, he melted into the darkess.

"Lily."

I turned to see a transparent white fox. He lept and grabbed my scruff. I didn't complain as he dragged me away, and as he seemed to slowly disappear...

I blinked open my eyes. There was a screech. The No-Pelts were running away. I was scrambling onto the ground. Amber was rushing to help me. I stopped and blinked. Had the dream been no more than a few heartbeats? I couldn't remember my name or anything else that happened when I was a No-Pelt anymore.

"Are you okay?" Amber asked, concerned. "You were frozen for a long moment, then you widened your eyes and started struggling. And then there was this screech or scream or howl or whatever..."

"I-I'm f-f-fine." I stammered, getting up.

"The No-Pelts were panicking after what happened." Amber blubbered on. "They ran away. I think you did something, 'cause I didn't. If you did, thanks for saving me. And yourself. Us."

There was a warm shiver in my spine. I liked the word "us". It meant something big, even though the word was small. I realised I was staring. I quickly looked away. I heard a chuckle. I turned to Amber, smiling.

"Are you hungry?" Amber asked me, smiling.

I nodded. "Will you show me how to hunt?"

"Yes, of course."

I padded beside him as he walked through the forest, occasionally sniffing the air. Then he dropped into a crouch. I crouched too. Amber glided across the forest floor, making no sound or vibration whatsoever. Then he lept into the air, landing on something that made a squeal. Amber returned with a creature in his jaws, a bit like the birds that I saw around the forest.

"This is a chicken." Amber explained. "They're usually in the protected farms, but this one seems to have strayed from its nest!"

I hesitated. Amber split the chicken in half, burying one half.

"We are saving a bit for when we are desperate." Amber murmured. " We will eat the other half now."

He grabbed the other part of the chicken and sat beside me. Then we began sharing the tasty meal. I looked into Amber's face. Looking at him chowing down on some chicken made me giggle. He looked up, an amused smile on his face. I pounced on the other fox, making him yip in surprise. I licked his muzzle, hearing him sigh contentedly. I couldn't think of any moment happier than this. Just forgetting all worries and playing like old friends. I knew deep down that life couldn't be without hunger and death, but for a few moments I could forget all that.

"Ha-ha!" Amber chuckled. "You're tickling me!"

I rubbed his neck, making him laugh.

"Oh, yes!" I murmured happily.

I couldn't think of anything else that was happier than this. Then I heard a bark. Spinning around, I growled at the intruder, a black fox. But Amber just yapped in surprise.

"Holly!"