«chapter twenty-seven: more problems»

Start from the beginning

"They could both be moles." Will suggests thoughtfully.

"And he's a former mole, so he'd know," Roy smirks before Will hits him. "Ow!"

"It's an old Cold War strategy: The bad guys send us two options, and don't really care which one we trust," He explains, not paying any attention to Roy.

"But wait... if they're both equally untrustworthy," Cissie starts, "doesn't that make them both equally trustworthy?"

"True," Spoiler says, looking back to me. "Both could be legit, but the Shadows got them
to mistrust each other."

"Geez, kick 'em both loose and let the Shadows sort 'em out." Roy waves his hand in the air as if he is dismissing the problem. I wish it was that simple, but it isn't. It never is with the Shadows.

"No," I shake my head. "If there's even a chance one of them or both is telling the truth, we have to protect her... or them. You get the idea," I sigh, thinking about my sister now, wishing I had done more to help. "Everyone deserves a chance at redemption." Cat took it. Why can't Jade?

"Why not ask Cat to listen in?" Will asks suddenly, making both Spoiler and I scoff.

"Are you going to be the one to explain to Nightwing how she got caught up in more shadow drama?" I question, crossing my arms.

"Are they back together?" He raises an eyebrow at my words.

"Nope," Spoiler crosses her arms, "Not like that would change his reaction, though." She remarks under her breath.

Will looks back at me and I nod, "I will ask Cat if we can't figure this out, but only as a last resort."

And Dick can't know. Or he is going to blow a fuse despite them being just "friends."

______________

NIGHTWING'S POV

I walk into the Watchtower, my eyes immediately going to Black Lightning.

"Dick," He says, realizing I am not in my suit as he looks me over. "I didn't know you were coming in today."

"Not for league business," I inform him, tucking my hands in the pockets of my jacket. "Kaldur and I are visiting Conner's..." I trail off, my eyes going to the floor.

"Right," He nods in understanding, "How are you holding up?"

"Honestly? Not good," I admit my eyes falling to the floor before I sigh and look back at him, "I think I am going to take a break. Separate myself for a while."

It's too hard. He was one of my best friends. I can't just act like it didn't happen. I still don't understand how it could have happened.

He frowns, "Do what you need to do. I know how important Conner was to you guys... to all of us," He looks down before clearing his throat. "You all seem to be taking it hard, and rightfully so."

"Yeah," I frown as I remember Artemis' mistakes in the past month. She has been distracted and messing up more on patrol. "Artemis is worrying me a little because of her focus."

I just don't want to not be there to safe her and something bad happen. Wally wouldn't forgive me or her if something happened. And I know I would never forgive myself.

"You all are doing the mandatory check-ins with Canary, right?" He asks, and I nod. "Then that's all we can do. But I've noticed Artemis struggling," He admits, "Brooklyn has actually been leading the team half of the time when Artemis needs her to."