Losing a Brother

En başından başla

Before I could blink, he rolled off the bed and stepped to his dresser, rummaging around for a second before looking back to me.

"Uh... some privacy, maybe?" He grinned as I rolled my eyes, rushing from the room and shutting the door, not even thinking about how loud it would be so early in the morning. I leaned against the hard wood and took a gulp of air, holding it in my lungs for a few seconds before letting it out.

Finally, we were in our way. When I had woken up, the sky outside my window had still been orange, but now there was hardly a cloud to be seen and the sun was in full view. It couldn't be much after ten, but it was already so hot I was sweating.

"Think the others will be upset we didn't invite th-"

"No." Fred cut me off with a smile as we neared the lake, the dirt road turning to sand with every step.

"You're awfully chipper for someone who would usually be asleep until noon." I joked, kicking my shoes off and feeling the already hot sand between my toes.

"I had a good wake up call." He shrugged, stopping a ways up from the waterline and dropping the towels he had been carrying as I set down my bag. I unbuttoned my shorts and let them fall from my legs before pulling my shirt off as well. Normally I would have stalled a bit, maybe sat in the sun until I was ready to get in the water, but it was so hot and I was already starting to sweat.

Fred stared straight out into the water, not moving or even seeming to notice that I had lost any clothing. I looked between his eyes and the horizon for a few seconds trying to work out what he was looking at before he bent down, grabbing my legs for the second time this morning and throwing me over his shoulder.

"Fred, no!" I shrieked, my fists against the skin of his back having no effect on him at all. I felt droplets of water fly against my legs as he splashed through the shallows before his grip left my legs and I plunged through the freezing lake water.

I could hear his laughter before I even reached the surface and I tried to keep my smile off my face. When I finally emerged, wiping the water from my eyes and pushing my hair out of my face, I tried to shoot him my best glare.

"Do you always have to do that?"

"If you wouldn't scream so loud, it probably wouldn't be as funny for me." He shrugged, his eyes flicking down to my lips and back.

"I'm coming with Ginny next time. We'll have a nice relaxing day."

"I'm sure you will." He took a step closer to me through the water and pressed one hand onto either side of my hips, pushing me deeper into the lake until I could only keep my head above water on the tips of my toes.

"Can't touch?" He grinned, his hands still set loosely on my skin.

"We're not all 8 feet tall." I grabbed onto each of his arms to try and hold myself up, trying to get a bit closer to the shore.

"Want some help?" He asked, even his eyes sparkling with humor now.

"Yes!" I laughed.

"What do I get for helping you? It's not my fault you're short." He started to pull his hands back from my waist.

"Freddie!"

With a small chuckle, he finally brought his grip back to my waist, pulling me against his chest, his hands sliding down beneath my thighs to wrap my legs around him.

"Better?" He asked, his mouth forming a crooked smile as I felt a flush rise to my face.

"Much." I replied, softly.

His face never lost it's smirk as he leaned in, pressing his lips to mine and sucking in my bottom lip a little. I moved my arms from their spot around his neck and pushed them through his long hair clinging to his neck.