𝚝𝚊𝚔𝚎𝚗

𓆙

Imogen Halstead (age 13)
Word count: 1966
Tw: blood/violence
Request: @123hi457

Jays POV

It's currently 12:45am, and I'm still working on this damn paper work. I just checked on my daughter, and like always she's asleep. I've never really had trouble in getting her to bed at night, even when she was a baby, she never really protested against me. Sometimes I think she sleeps too much, but when she's asleep that means I get peace, so I'm not particularly complaining...

           Sometimes I wonder what life would be like if I didn't accidentally have Imogen thirteen years ago, but even though I do, I wouldn't want that life.  I don't think I could live without Imogen now, she's all I am.  I tap my pen on the base of my laptop and stare at the screen.  Paperwork should be illegal. 

            I look up when I hear scratching from somewhere in the house, it sounds like a fox or something trying to get in through the back door, so I ignore it.  However, the more I wait the more the scratching turns into quiet banging, and I'm afraid that not everything's okay. I bolt up to my feet, grab my gun and make my way into the living room where I see three men trying to get into our back door. I weigh up my options; they haven't seen me yet... I could still get to Imogen and get her out of the house.

I duck as I begin to scramble up the stairs, and rush into Imogen's room, "hey baby, c'mon get up. We gotta go, now" I shake her just enough to wake her, not worry her.  She stirs and turns to look at me in confusion, "did I miss my alarm?" She looks around groggily.  I pull her out of bed and steady her on her feet, "no, no you didn't..." I'm cut off by the sound of glass smashing from downstairs. I feel her cling onto my arm as I back her towards the closet, "do not come out of here until I come back to get you..." I whisper as I push her inside. She looks up at me, "what's going on?" Her eyes are full of terror. I cup her face, "I don't know" I answer truthfully. She crouches down as I close the doors.

Once I'm sure she's safe in hiding, I creep my way over to her bedroom door where I have a clear view of the living room downstairs. I see the three men trying to grab anything they can, including family valuables.  I clutch the gun in my hands, but I don't plan on using it in front of my thirteen year old daughter. As I sneak my way into the hallway I make sure to stay as hidden as I can.

            The shadow movements from where I stand must've grabbed their attention, because before I know it they're running up the stairs and I slam Imogen's bedroom door shut so that's the last place they'll check. I hear them yelling as I run into the bathroom, getting ready to attack from behind the door.  It isn't long before the men make it onto the landing and I'm jumping out with my gun raised, attacking the first man I see.  We're fighting each other off as he backs me into the bathroom, I manage to drop him, but he doesn't seem to give up. 

           The second he stands up I'm distracted by my worst nightmare, Imogen let's out the most blood curdling scream I've ever heard.  The man cold cocks me over the head and although I don't pass out, I do crumble to the floor, my senses feeling hazy and dishevelled; although i can't move I'm sure that Imogen is still screaming...

~

I'm not really sure what happened next. Between the break in, the hiding, the attacking, and Imogen screaming, we were taken. All I know now is that I can't see, or move, and the floor feels cold beneath me. I know I have a cloth over my head, since it's hard to breathe, but my only worry is the fact that I can't hear or see imogen right now.  Although I can hear a few male voices moving around me, "put her in the corner" I hear one man spit out.  My ears prick up as I try to locate the sound with my ears, however I'm not even sure if they're talking about my daughter. I pray to god they are, if I lost Imogen I don't think life would be worth living...