Chapter 4-Pretty In Pink

Max

"Please just go. It'll be super chill and it's just the basketball team." Lucas pleads.

"We both know that it won't just be the basketball team."

"Just think about it, okay?" He looked into my eyes and, though I really didn't feel like it, I gave in.

"Fine."

"Thank you." He quickly kissed my cheek before walking to sixth period.

Now it's winter, and Christmas is coming up. This was our last day before winter break, and Lucas managed to convince me to go to a party with his basketball friends.

I pushed through the rest of the day and threw my stuff down when I got home. We recently moved into a trailer home after Neil left. It sucks. I looked in my closet for clothes but before I could find anything I heard Dustin through the walkie.

"Max, do you copy?"

"Yes" I sighed.

"Hey is Lucas coming to Hellfire tonight?"

Shit.

"Um, no."

"Why?"

"I don't know." I lied.

He groaned, "Okay. Bye."

I put the super-comm down and continued searching for something to wear. I found an outfit in the back of my closet. It was a rainbow and white shirt with puffy jean shorts. Exactly what I wore with El to the mall. I took it out and sat on my bed, thinking for a while.

I just want to go back. It seems dumb but I just want to go to the mall again. Tears started forming and I pulled the outfit towards my chest. I miss who I was.

Lucas

I was getting ready for the party when the phone started ringing. I walked out of my room and into the hallway and picked it up.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Lucas this is Max." Her voice sounded tired.

"Hey Max."

"So.. I don't think I can go."

"What happened?" I sighed.

"I just can't do it tonight okay?"

"Okay."

"I'm sorry."

"It's fine." I hung up.

It didn't seem like it was worth going to the party if Max wasn't going to be there. I had only been to Max's trailer once since she moved, but I wrote down where it was.

I dumped my backpack over and started rummaging through all of the pieces of paper. Finally, I found the one with her address.

I grabbed some of her favorite movies we would watch at her house and stuffed them in a backpack with some snacks. I started pedaling towards the trailer park.

After an hour of biking and trying to figure out where the trailer was, I found it. I walked up and knocked on the door. There was no answer, but I heard the tv on so I knocked again.

"Just a damn minute!" A loopy woman's voice yelled inside.

Shit I have the wrong house.

"Whaddya want?" The woman opened the door. She actually looked kind of like Max with her red hair and blue eyes.

"Um, I'm Lucas. Is Ma-"

"Oh! You're her little boyfriend! But lookatya not so little anymore!" She slurred her words, "Here why dontchu come in.."