Chapter 23: Bunk Buddies

Start from the beginning

I wasn't quite sure if I should've been offended or happy at that comment, but either way my mouth stayed sewn shut.

"And as for you Asher, I don't have the luxury of finding another trainer at the moment. So I suppose it's less of quarantine and more of...a grounding." She sniggered at the word once she settled on it, amused with herself. "You two of course can see people, when you're doing a job of some sort. But other than that your free time is cut off, and you both have to spend that time together. I don't care if you train or sit around or sleep during that time, as long as you aren't killing each other or harming each other beyond repair, do whatever you want."

Asher and I exchanged a weary glance.

"For the time being, you two will bunk together in the outer village. The rooms already set up for the both of you, and while we were talking I had one of my assistants gather your things from your rooms, so there's no need for you to go off and get them."

Even if I wanted to say something, she didn't give me the chance. Once Akshana was done she turned around and briskly walked out of the room, leaving Asher and I alone in stunned silence.

"What was she talking about? What did you do?" I asked quietly, turning to the massive hulk of a woman beside me.

Asher eyed me with disdain, the way you would look at a small child you were stuck with babysitting. Which, I guess, wasn't far off from the truth.

"One of my abilities as a block is to completely cut off any of the senses of a person with magick. What I did that made Akshana so mad was I essentially made it so that none of us, including myself, could see the three of you. Not necessarily just you three, that would've been even more difficult than it already was. It was more like the whole section you were in. That's why I only stepped in at the last minute. It was a test. I just wanted to prove to Akshana that the three of you could handle things yourselves. But I guess I was wrong."

Her eyes bored holes into my skull, and I had to look away.

"But why would you do that? Why try to help us?"

She made an irritated noise in the back of her throat and got up, facing away from me.

"I wasn't trying to help you. It was for Adam. You've gotten those two boys into more trouble in the time that you've been here than they've been in their entire lives. Alexander has a habit of pushing the boundaries, that's different. And of course Adam couldn't get into much trouble when he was locked up, but he's always been a good kid. I'm not necessarily a sentimental person, but I've tried to look out for Adam whenever I could in whatever little way. So you just prancing in here and getting him involved in all of your mess really pissed me off. I wanted to prove to Akshana that Adams softer nature would be enough to settle the three of you down. And instead your apparently contagious volatile nature did the exact opposite. So thanks Kaylee."

"Hey, I didn't ask for all that pressure!" I protested.

Her comment irked me. I realized she only had good intentions, but it was hardly fair to put all the blame on me. I tried to stop them! I tried even without my dark magick!

"I don't care what you did and didn't ask for. I'm going to our room now. I'm tired. Have fun on your first job." She added the last bit in a way that was clearly just so she wouldn't sound entirely rude.

With nothing else to be said, Asher thundered out of the room, practically slamming the door shut behind her.

"Ugh!" Seconds after I was left alone, I angrily flung a chair at the door with my shifting, but it bounced off harmlessly and clattered to the floor.