Hidden Suspicions

Magsimula sa umpisa

"So are you two planning anything for the weekend?" Alex was spaced out, lying across the grass smiling.

Noah and I had not been paying much attention to him. We had been busy teasing lips and necks. Noah recovered before me. "Eh... No not really. You guys could come over? Maybe we could hang out for a few hours tomorrow. Play some x-box or something."

"Sure, sounds like fun. I'll mention it to Alexis." Noah jumped to attention then. I grimaced at the way his eyes widened. Alex noticed too and scowled. I felt edgy with the tension surrounding us. Feeling myself sinking back into Noah's solid body.

I cringed when Noah went to open his mouth. Alex noticed this and glared at Noah sitting ever so slightly forward and saying.

"Don't start Noah. Just don't."

Leaning forward I whispered into Noah's ear. "Remember what you promised me. It wasn't Lexi's fault. Please love. Just drop it." Alex watched the exchange with a frown. I knew he loved Lexi and Noah hating her didn't help.

Noah kissed me and told Alex he would not say anything. Alex smiled at me and the tension gradually slipped away. We sat there and chatted normally, passing the time and laughing at the strange guesses to who might have trashed the school.

"Not that I am trying to stir anything, but it sounds like classic Nathan. I can remember the time he threw a chair at the teacher. He was suspended for a week after," Alex said. I felt Noah stiffen behind me, and he growled silently.

"It might have been. But, surely if it had been him someone would have found him. He's a wanted guy now. So try not to worry too much. I'm sure things will be fine," I said.

Alex paled and said, "Yeah, sorry. I didn't want to say it, but we can't rule that option out either. Let's face it, he's a strange guy."

"Sorry. But you know what I mean."

Strange? I would say he's a psyco. He would make your skinn crawl. Never mind the fact he threatened me and went on the run. Crap! I don't want him to come back. He wont come back. I'm safe. I'm safe.

"Alex, listen carefully. Strange is not the way to describe the bastard. I won't tell you what I think of him, but trust me. I don't think he's strange at all." His voice turned deadly as he said," now drop the fucking subject."

Again, Alex apologized and when Joey walked over and told us the classrooms were ready we hopped up off the ground walked off to class. Noah walked me to the door. He had been nervous about me going in that day. Wanting me to wait for the pills to get to work.

It had been a big deal the night before. It would have given me incentive to stay at home, I was on edge about being in. But mom had asked me how I felt about it and I knew they wanted me to brave it out. Daddy had spoken with the teachers while we were in the hospital. He had warned them that I was feeling off.

When the teacher arrived Noah kissed me goodbye and strolled off to his first class. To my great relief the classroom was almost empty. The teacher smiled and pointed to a seat at the back of the room. I smiled back and turned. The six people in the class turned and stared as I headed through the maze of tables.

During my gym class I kept getting the strange feeling that something bad was going to happen. I was constantly looking over my shoulder. Even though I was not participating in the class I had to sit in the gym while they threw a ball around. Only seven people turned up for that class. Mr. Begly the gym teacher had looked annoyed when he saw the small number.

My skin crawled as I watched some of the guys get rough with each other. Memories of Nathan shoving me against the wall flashed through my mind. I didn't know why he kept popping up in my head that day, but he wasn't leaving me alone.