Chapter Twenty-Seven: The schemer in manipulations and lilies

Începe de la început

"Valentin! Did you actually-"

"Kidding!" He snickered. "I was just making sure that no gaps were opening."

"Gaps?" I inquired and sat down in front of him.

He took a sip of his tea before responding. "You know, pre-dimensional death symptoms. Just making sure that even with a glitch like you around here, little black holes don't just randomly pop out."

"Whoa! Back up a bit. Black holes?"

"Yes, Marcella. Seriously, we don't meet for almost a year and you suddenly cannot hear me."

I rolled my eyes at him. "Can you please just explain to me properly?"

"Glitch like you comes. Little gaps or black holes open up. Gaps are gates to other dimension. More glitches enter and exit the dimension. Chaos ensues." Valentin explained and took another sip of his tea.

"But aren't black holes supposed to be super powerful? Shouldn't they destroy the world immediately if it's close?"

"Ah, your current thinking has made up for your inability to hear properly. Whether this is a benefit or a loss, I am not quite certain," Valentin mused and reached over to pat my head.

I slapped his hand away. "Don't."

"Well technically, they really are not black holes," Valentin said. "I just used that term because it sounded better than just saying gaps. Just imagine them as a slit in the space- mini portals or whatnot."

"Then just call them as slits." I criticized.

"But that does not sound dramatic enough," Valentin nitpicked. "But anyway, looks like you are doing fine, little miss glitch. No black holes were open."

I breathed out in relief. "At least that's one good thing to hear today."

Valentin took one look at me and then nodded his head as if in understanding. "Ah, right. Spring soiree."

"Yes!" I exclaimed and stared at Valentin in anticipation. "Can you do me a favor and ask the heroine out?"

Valentin raised a brow. "Why?"

"Well, I was wondering if you could like try to ask her out and when she says yes to you, wait for the night of the ball and dump her."

He looked at me in shock. "A year and you did not just lose your hearing but also your empathy? Oh goodness, Marcella. Too much sacrifice for quicker thinking."

"No!" I defended. "I meant that you could pretend that you cannot go so Percival gets to swoop in and invite her to the ball. That way, he'd be like her knight and shining armor."

"Phrasing it that way does not make it any less devious. Where did that naïve little girl go while I was away?"

"Come on, Valentin! How many times have I asked you for a favor?"

He pointed at my neck. "Remember how that head's still on that neck, dear miss? Yes. That's thanks to me."

"This," I pointed to my head. "This is not a favor! We had a deal."

"Mmm," Valentin made a face while pondering. "Yeah, no. I did you a favor and then we struck a deal."

"Whatever! Just please do this other favor for me, please."