Chapter 1: The Universe Fucking Hates Me

RIVER

"So then Wilhelm-"

"STOP. TRYING. TO. SPOIL. ME!"

I headed out of the school, pestered by my best friend who was trying to spoil me about the last chapter of a game we had been playing. I covered my ears in frustration. I don't like being spoiled. I'd much rather find out what happens next myself.

"But, but, but, River! I need someone to rant to!"

"Go rant to someone who has played the full game."

"Meanie." Rhea stuck her tongue out at me.

The game is quite interesting and as much as I'd like to hear Rhea's theories about it, I really want to at least know what happens in the game. And I don't want to know it from her. I want to know it from the game.

I'm rambling, sorry about that. I just ramble a lot.

Rhea sighed. I sighed. Then we made finger guns at each other.

...It was a thing we have. Rhea once said that people's lifespan shortens by seven seconds when they sigh, so every time one of us sighs, the other one sighs too. If we die early, we might as well die early together.

Anyways, by the time we reached, the building exit was crowded. Severe case of the crowds. Offline classes have just started, but it's as if COVID-19 never existed in the first place. As if hundreds of thousands (millions?) of people didn't just die.

I'm saying all this, but I'm not even wearing a mask. Being vaccinated has fueled my confidence. I used to be a lot more careful about this before...

Anyways, the cafeteria was fully crowded, so we headed to the playgrounds instead. The playgrounds are like a safe haven, mainly because people don't usually go through there after dispersal.

"I'll send you the draft today?" Rhea suddenly went professional-mode.

"Sure."

You see, Rhea writes fanfiction and I'm her editor. Or proofreader? I check the grammar and stuff, basically.

She has an online handle at this website called FansWriteStories.com and she's actually quite popular. She has around 50K followers (still surprises me) and she is very active out there.

Rhea mostly writes romance stories. Those are her specialty. And the stories are mostly short. She did write several long and heavily lore-related fanfictions, though. In fact, one of her fanfictions, the Sky Looked Blue and So Did His Eyes, is the most popular fanfiction of whatever fandom she wrote it about.

"Does it have any action scenes?" I asked her.

I write the action scenes for her books too, besides being an editor. It's not too much work, she barely writes action-including things. However, I still make sure to double check, just in case.

"Not this time. It's just a fluffy one-shot."

"Then I will be waiting for my daily dose of wholesome. But...it doesn't contain smut, right?"

"Geez, River, no. I don't write smut."

She says that, but I'm pretty sure she does. In fact, I can confirm that she does. She sent me a smut fanfic to proofread the other day and it left me traumatized.

And no, I'm not 'innocent' or anything. I still make and laugh at sex jokes. It's just that reading about people having sex is just really uncomfortable for me. Maybe it's because I'm a sex-repulsed Asexual?

"Yeah, sure. And Trump won the American elections," I said, sarcasm reeking out of my voice.

Rhea rolled her eyes, "You used to be a lot sassier than this. What happened?"