Late for date night (part 2)

As much as you may not have realised it at the time, the break up with Florence really did you both some good. You had moved out within the same week, gotten a small studio apartment to yourself and you were thriving. Florence had finished her movie and was off promoting it, living her best life.

Initially, it was difficult. Before things turned south you were used to having Florence with you constantly. You went grocery shopping together. Ran all sorts of different errands. Went on dates to the beach, coffee shops, restaurants; had picnics in the living room of the apartment you once shared. Wherever you were, Florence was there also.

Being without her was strange, and sometimes you still turned around at the grocery store to get her opinion on something only for her not to be there.

But things slowly got better. You became more independent, made new friends. You still missed Florence, but ultimately, the break up was for the best. Maybe you two just weren't meant to be, and that was okay.

You hum lightly underneath your breath as you flip to the next page of your book. It was Wednesday, the day you got coffee on your lunch break and sat in the coffee shop you and Florence had once called your own. Reminiscing was nice sometimes, because you knew nothing would come if it.

"Y/n?"

You immediately whip your head up. Florence. The first thing you notice was her hair. It was short now, and brunette. There was also a septum piercing in her nose, and you try and wipe away the initial thought process of oh my god can I get anymore gay as you close your book and push it to the side. It wasn't a surprise to see her here. Not really. You were honestly surprised it hadn't happened already considering the lack of distance between your apartments.

"Hi," you force a somewhat awkward grin, "what are you doing here?"

The brunette swallows heavily, "I was...umm, I was just getting a drink before I head back home. What about you?"

"I come here once a week to grab a coffee and read," you admit, and she nods. An uncomfortable silence soon emits around you both, so you gesture to the seat opposite you as a silent invitation to sit. She visibly hesitates, but complies, her ring covered hands fumbling with plastic cup in her grasp.

"Nice hair," you break the awkward silence.

Florence nods, her gaze focused purely on the table in front of her, "Thanks. I had to uhh, cut it for a movie part."

You hum in understanding before taking a sip of your coffee, "So, how have you been?"

Green eyes rise hesitantly to meet your own, and you were shocked to see the sudden shine they had taken on. Her throat bobs, and her cheeks suddenly take on a light red colour. You knew she was growing dangerously close to crying, and your heart breaks at the sight. Despite your better judgement, you rise to your feet and round the table before sitting back down next to her. You then wrap an arm around her shoulder and pull her close, not surprised in the slightest when she doesn't hesitate to fall into your embrace.

"I'm sorry." She whispers, but whether it was for getting emotional or for the thing you really had no interest in reliving, you didn't quite know. And you didn't think you were quite ready to find out either.

You nod as you rest your hand on the back of her head,"It's okay." You murmur. You don't know how long the embrace lasts, but she pulls away a little while later and wipes her cheeks with her hands. You eye her carefully, taking everything in. Other than the obvious, nothing much had really changed. She was still the same old flo you knew, just maybe a little more sad.

Arms suddenly feeling too empty, you round the table again and begin to pack up your things. You immediately feel her eyes on you, and you look over to see her staring at you with a somewhat defeated look on her face. You hate how much the sight hurts you.

"I have to go back to work, but...meet me at the park later. We'll talk." Leaning down, you press a gentle kiss to her forehead before walking briskly out of the establishment. You don't look back.

*

Hours later you make it to the park. You'd stopped off at home first to change and drop off your work things, because you didn't know how long this thing with Florence take nor did you want to be stuck in your work clothes for who knows how long.

You spot her almost immediately, and the butterflies that had been vacant for so long make an abrupt appearance. With a small grin on your lips, you head over to where she was sat on one of the benches and ease yourself down next to her.

"Hey," you greet, giving her a small nudge.

Florence startles, almost as though she hadn't realised you were here already. "Hi." Her lips curve up into a tentative smile. You hold out your arm, and she falls into your side, head against your shoulder

With a content sigh, you press your lips against the top of her head and trail the tips of your fingers up and down her arm.

"I missed you," Florence murmurs, "and I'm sorry."

"I missed you too," you don't hesitate to respond, squeezing her a little closer, "and why are you sorry?" You suspected you already knew the answer, but you'd like to hear it from her anyway.

You feel her sigh against you, "For how things ended between us. It was a shitty situation, and I made it shittier by basically abandoning you."

You smile slightly, "It's okay. I forgive you." And you did. You've taken some time to grow, and so had she. Yes things sucked back then, but you've worked on yourself and you're now sure of what you want for your future.

Florence looks up, face only inches away from your own, "You do?"

You brush a strand of brunette hair away from her face, "I do," you admit, leaning forward to place a kiss against her button nose, "and I'm ready if you are."

Her nose scrunches up cutely, and she nods her head as she twists herself slightly so she could pull you into a proper hug. You return the embrace, ecstatic you'd both found one another again.

**

Don't forget to comment and vote telling me what you think!