15. family dinners

Start from the beginning

"This looks lovely, it's been a long time since I've had a Sunday roast," I smiled politely.

"You should come round more often for dinner, Ivy. We would love to have you. How did the match go Quinn?"

"We didn't play great, but we won. I scored a few too."

"That's great son, Ivy what did you get up too?"

"She came to watch the match," Quinn answered for me. I didn't even think he had noticed me there. I had heard boys say before they tried not to focus on the side lines. Eyes had to be on the ball at all times.

"Oh really! How lovely of you to go and watch Quinn!"

"Well, some of my friends actually play too. You know Sean, James, and Mark?"

"Yes, yes, I know of them. They're not as good as my Quinn though," she shot him a smile across the table as he glared at me.

The seating arrangement made it difficult to ignore him. Martin was working late so it was just the three of us and Angela had taken the side of the table with only one placemat. Leaving me and Quinn to sit beside each other, legs touching. It made it really difficult to concentrate on the conversation. But I could still tell he wasn't in a great mood.

"No, they're not."

"They're all great players," I argued.

"They're not great."

"I think they're great."

"Then you don't have a clue about Gaelic. They're all bang average. Mark is probably the best of the three."

"Mark was always a nice little boy," Angela joined in, sensing the tension rising between us and diffusing a possible argument starting.

"He has a nice little girlfriend too."

"Quinn!" his mum swatted him across the table, "I do not want to know!" So, it was Cliodhan he fancied. That must have been instant attraction.

"They're not together," I frowned.

"Oh great, you got her number? Maybe I'll give it a go," earning another swipe from his mother.

We made small talk for the rest of dinner, mainly between me and Angela or her and Quinn. We never spoke directly to each other. But I could feel his stare on me every time I opened my mouth. Shortly after helping clear the table, dad text me again, home now. Finally. Although, I wasn't looking forward to coming up with an excuse as to why I wanted to avoid the neighbours. I was grateful though to be getting out of this situation without Angela remembering today was my birthday.

"Well, dads back home now so I better get going. Thanks again for dinner, Angela, it really was lovely."

"You really are welcome anytime Ivy."

"I'll walk you out," Quinn followed me out of the kitchen.

"Since when do you walk me out?" I hissed.

"Since when do you come round for dinner?"

"Since when do you send me flowers?"

"Since your sixteenth birthday."

I knew it was him. But hearing him say the words made it feel completely new to me again. I wasn't even planning on mentioning the flowers to him. I just said it in the heat of the moment. And immediately regretted it. I had to stick with it now though.

"Why did you do that?"

"It was ages ago."

"You made me have my first kiss with Harry Jones, who had a girlfriend by the way, because I thought he sent you flowers."

"Didn't realise it was your first kiss, at the time. Sixteen is a bit old, isn't it?"

Great, now I had embarrassed myself even more, "screw you, Quinn."

"If it's any consolation, I was going to tell you they were from me. But you had already kissed Harry by the time you bothered to speak to me."

"Well, you didn't exactly make it obvious you sent them. There was no note."

"I left a note this time," he smirked.

"And what?'

"Harry got a kiss," he stepped forward, closing the gap between us.

We were still standing right at his front door. Angela could probably see us through the window and would wonder why I was still here. I didn't know how I was meant to react. Quinn's flirting had taken me by surprise. No matter how much of a joke it probably was. I took a step back, regrettably, as I had become blissfully unaware we were both squeezed onto his doorstep. Falling back, Quinn reached out his arms and grabbed me by the waist, pulling me back into him.

I quickly gathered myself again and stepped down, turning to walk back to my house. "Bye Quinn!" I just about managed to get the words out.

"Maybe next time, Ivy."