part 1

"So do you know where exactly you can board a bus to where you are going?" The taxi driver asked concerned.

"Yes ofcourse. Ave been here for a month so I know the important places. Apa ndikakwera za mkolokosa" I answered him calmly.

I murmured "thank you", opened the door and  got of the taxi.

At 6pm Blantyre city is crowded. Everyone is always busy trying to board a bus, taxi, or lift home.

I tried crossing the road but a Fortuner passed with full speed. I looked to my left a Toyota vitz was approaching with no intentions of slowing down. With my full pride   I put my right leg forward and started crossing the road. I shot my daring look at the driver saying inside me "slow down darling" as if s/he heard me, the driver slowed down and I crossed the road. I was making my way to board the bus when my nose got familiar scent. My heart increased it's pace. Shivers run down my spine making me wonder why body remembered this scent while my memory wasn't ready to. With my heart still beating faster I looked around slowing my pace hoping to find out who my heart was beating for. 5 seconds later my legs stopped and my heart increased its pace a little more. I could only see his backside. Thando! My heart exclaimed. My Tha. Without thinking twice I started following him. After four years Tha had the same height but he grew some muscles. His shoulder was broader Making the skyblue shirt he wore fit him so perfectly. His move changed though. It must be the muscles. But the hair cut was the same.

You see Thando was the only guy I clicked with in my first year in college. I had put up strong walls when going to college so that I wouldn't forget the boyfriend I left home but some how Thando found his was through the walls I built. We became so close. He was as some of you would call it, a bestie. I called him my Tha. Eventually my boyfriend found out that I got closer to another guy in college so with his friends, they framed Tha for stealing  and he was expelled. The night before he left he came outside my hostel and took me for a walk. He hid his verdict from me and let me have all the fun as always. It was when he was dropping me back to my hostel when he told me. "Am leaving Ngeli. I came to say goodbye and also to tell you something"

"Iwe choka Tha. I don't have time for your jokes. I have to go study" I gave him a quick hug which he didn't respond and left. But he got hold of my hand. He looked in my eyes and said "I'm serious Ngeli" his voice was low and it came out with difficulty. It was as if he was close to crying.

I froze. I didn't know what to do or say. I stood there like a statue "he is leaving" my heart spoke. my heart ached so much. Heartache thupi lonse. He held my both hands and looked at me again

"Since am leaving I want to tell you that I love you. Ave loved you all this while Ngelinah but I couldn't say it."  He looked down. "Because of your boyfriend. But I do not want to regret not telling you" my heart still didn't register him leaving me or loving me. I was still traumatized and wasn't able say anything. He hugged me tightly. A goodbye hug. Am sure I felt a drop of tear on my neck. My body that got used to his scent, responded to his hug and was tight just like his. "I love you ngelinah" he whispered. After a ten seconds he drew back and kissed my forehead. He looked at me for a few seconds and left. I was still frozen on the spot "my Tha is leaving." I whispered. I was on the same spot when my noisy mesho called out to me. "Iwe chi Angellah....aaaa monse ndayambila kukuitana?"
Eventually I went inside my hostel but I wasn't able to say anything. My mesho thought it was just one of my mood swings so she stopped trying to talk to me. I Never spoke to Tha since that day. And now it's been four good years.

"Mkolokosa!" Oyitanila ma bus bought me back to my senses. "This is the last bus to mkolokosa" I said to my self "if I miss this one I will get lost and the last time I did, I found myself in chilobwe instead of manja at 6pm" I looked at the bus conductor then the bus. It had 4 left spaces. Then i looked at Thando who was still showing me his backside  "I can't lose Tha again"  I told myself. I quickned my pace and was now a metre behind him. Without hesitation I pushed my hand forward and got hold of his right hand "Thando" I called Thando turned. I was about to hug him and tell him how much I missed him and how I was so mad at him because he never contacted me in the past four years when I looked up to his face and realized that he is not Thando. Disappointment thupi lonse. this one was darker. Tha was dark but was quite fair. And definitely those weren't Thando's eyes. With shame I finally spoke up. "Sorry. I thou...you... you....I thought....Tha....( "Get hold of your self" My brain pinched me back to reality) sorry mistake" the walk of shame was not easy. My laptopbag was now heavier and I was suddenly tired and hungry. The mkolokosa bus just passed by. "That was the last bus" my heart said sadly. Now I had to board the limbe bus so I can board a bus to chilobwe in limbe. Just the thought of that made me tired. I stood there lazily indecisive of what to do  when A Black Toyota Mark X pulled over to where I was. The glass rolled down and guess who it was. The almost Thando. What was he doing here? To make me more ashamed of leaving my bus to home and following a guy who I thought was the guy I was in love with? Yes you heard me right. I realized that I was in love with Tha months after he left. I even broke up with my boyfriend because I was disgusted with what he did to my Tha.

"Going to Manja?" The almost Thando spoke

"Yyyy......ye......yes" i stammered again. Wow I'm just making a fool of myself in front of this guy. I almost wanted to tell him that "aixe sorry tu. I don't stammer. Just that....sizili sharp"

" Hop in. Am going that side too. I don't know whether it is because he smelled or had physic like my Tha but I just went in the car without hesitation. Almost Tha started the car. I fasten my sit belt and he drove off. The sunset looked so beautiful. I watched it quietly. I thought of taking my phone out so I can take a picture of It. I looked am my watch and was 6:15pm. That was when my brain registered everything that was going on. Wait. I just boarded a stranger's car! In Blantyre! I'm not even familiar with with this place! What if I get kidnapped? No no no. My heart started beating faster as Almost Thando rolled the tinted windows up and locked the doors. I looked at him scared. He was talking to someone on his phone. "Yes aixe. Don't worry. Am coming that side and I have zinthu zija ( the  goods) with me......I know..... Yes.....it took me time to arrange but it's all good now........I will be there in 15" with that he hung up.

Ooops🙆🏻‍♀️