xxii. don't panic

CHAPTER XXII:
don't panic

CHAPTER XXII: don't panic

( March 1986 )

      "DON'T PANIC, DON'T PANIC, DON'T PANIC," Cleodora repeated like a mantra

"DON'T PANIC, DON'T PANIC, DON'T PANIC," Cleodora repeated like a mantra. Eddie and Cleo had been in the middle of Lovers Lake, Eddie rowing away as fast as he could and Cleo trying to keep herself from throwing up in fear.

Eddie had long gotten irritable from listening to her say the same thing over and over again, but he also felt bad that she even had to say it in the first place so he kept his mouth shut.

"Hey, Freaks!" And if Cleo's night couldn't get any worse, Jason Carver had found the two and Cleo wanted to throw herself overboard to put an end to the nightmare. "Where do you think you and your girlfriend are going?" Jason had gotten up close at the shore.

      Cleo threw her head back letting out sounds of exasperation before whining, "are you kidding me? Why does he have to be so much of an attention whore that he's a one-man mob with pitchforks!"

      "Shit," Eddie said while Cleo had gone on her panicking rant. Rushing to the back of the boat, Eddie went to the motor and began trying to get it to work so they could escape faster. Cleo yelped at the abrupt shaking of the boat, her hand narrowly missing the plank she was going to use to push herself back up and she ended up stumbling back. Sparing her a glance over his shoulder to make sure Cleo was okay, Eddie proceeded to continue with the motor saying, "just come on! You gotta help me out here man," he said to the motor desperately.

      "Eds, it's a lost cause!" Cleo quickly said as she sat up from her spot in between the seats to see Jason and one other person to be removing items of clothing surely so they could chase after them.

      "Come on you piece of shit!" Eddie shouted still trying with the motor. As he continued to yell at the machinery, Jason had begun running into the water to come after the two with his friend right behind him.

      "I can't believe I'm going to die in a lake again," Cleo panicked.

      "Goddamnit!" Eddie hit the motor, "Well, okay," he rushed to where he left the oar to begin rowing. Jason and his friend had gained on the two in no time due to Eddie's hope for the motor to somehow start working, now both of them mere feet away from reaching their prey.

Cleo's concerns had been piqued when she sat up and noticed that one of the boys had completely stopped swimming toward them. She assumed he was maybe hurt but the expressions on his face that she could make out in the light of the moon showed no pain whatsoever, only confusion as he looked around as if he were looking for something.

"Hey, stay back, man! Stay back!" Eddie shouted while waving the oar around as a threat just narrowly missing Cleo's head in the process.

"Come on, we almost have him!" Jason said as he noticed his friend's lack of attention.

Getting one of the worst feelings ever about their situation, Cleodora gripped at Eddie's leather jacket. "I think we should go right now," she said with her eyes not breaking contact with the dazed boy.

"Hey, Patrick! Patrick!" Jason attempted to get his attention but to no avail. Then as if something had pulled him down, Patrick had vanished beneath the water.

Cleo's breath hitched in her throat and her heartbeat accelerated more than it had already been doing. "Where did he go?" she said as she moved towards the back of the boat to try to see the boy in the dark water.

And then an abrupt splash had startled the teens into gazing at the sight of Patrick levitating multiple feet in the air just as Eddie had described Chrissy to have done the night she died. Eddie had taken a step too far back and caused Cleo's nightmare to become a reality once more when she went into the water right after he did. "Eddie!" She screamed to warn him of tipping the boat but it had been too late before they had both gone splashing into the water.

      Fully submerged under water, Cleodora's body took a moment to process the atmosphere she had been engulfed in and had momentarily gone limp. Her adrenaline increased when she opened her eyes into the dark water to see a blurred version of what she hoped was Eddie and an unintentional sigh left her throat allowing water to fill its place.

      Rushing to the surface as fast as she could, her arms flailed around when her head was above the water, desperate to not go under again. Eddie resurfaced right after her, his eyes scanning around for any sight of her just to see her panicking with her hair creating a curtain over her face.

      Swimming over to her, he wrapped an arm around her waist, her breath came in panicked gasps but she still proceeded to wrap one of her arms around his shoulders.

The two watched frozen in shock as Patrick's body contorted in ways that the human body should never be bent then fell limply into the water in front of Jason. Cleo's breathing at that moment had gone from deep gasps to shallow ones while she began to hyperventilate at the overwhelming situation that had happened in such little time.

Quickly noticing the change in her breathing, Eddie rushed her over to the boat. After he helped her climb in, she collapsed on the boat floor a shaking mess. All she wanted to do was scream the night away but not even the water she had swallowed would allow her to do that.

"We have to get out of here," Eddie rushed out after he climbed into the boat, his clothes soaking wet and clinging on to him. Cleo didn't respond to him, even when he moved his head to get a better look at her face. Only giving him a small desperate nod while shutting her eyes tight as if it would make the last ten minutes erase itself from her memories or so she could wake up from this nightmare that she never would have imagined to be reliving.