ix. germaphobe's nightmare

CHAPTER IX:
germaphobe's nightmare

CHAPTER IX: germaphobe's nightmare

( March 1986 )

      THE IRRITATING SOUND OF A DOORBELL RANG AS DUSTIN PUSHED ON THE DOORBELL ON THE DOORSTEP OF REEFER RICK'S HOME

      THE IRRITATING SOUND OF A DOORBELL RANG AS DUSTIN PUSHED ON THE DOORBELL ON THE DOORSTEP OF REEFER RICK'S HOME. After telling her boss, Keith, that she would be taking the rest of the day off, Cleodora, who had swapped her arcade uniform vest for her favorite pink zip up to leave open, took her sweet Audi for a joyride to find Eddie with Robin and Max in her car with her while Steve and Dustin rode together.

      The house was rather old looking, completely made of wood, with possibilities for splinters all over, it was truly a nightmare for Cleodora to even be setting foot in that environment.

"Well, guess that's settled. I guess he's not here," Steve said with a flashlight held at the door.

"If he's running from the police, why on Earth would he answer the door of the house he didn't live in?" Cleo rationalized.

Dustin then went on to begin knocking on the door, "Eddie? It's Dustin!" he announced. "Look, we just wanna talk, okay? No cop, I swear. We just wanna help." He continued to hit the door with his hand in a fist. While the guys stayed in front of the door, the girls, with their own flashlights, went over to the windows that had their blinds open to peek into the house for any signs of life. "Eddie!" he continued to shout into the night. "Rick!" he tried the owner but still no answer. "Reefer Rick!"

      "Don't scream that," Steve hushed.

      "Maybe use put your hand in your sleeve then knock," Cleo suggested. The two boys looked at her confused. "What? There could be splinters and you have no idea was kind of germs could be on that door."

      While Dustin continued pounding on the door, Max furrowed her investigation to the side of the manky old house to find any other indications of a runaway.

"Is that a foot?" Steve asked.

"No, that's just a shoe," Dustin responded.

"Really? I would've thought it was a foot too," Cleo added continuing to look inside.