xvii. playing a little dress up

CHAPTER XVII:
playing a little dress up

CHAPTER XVII: playing a little dress up

( March 1986 )

      "NANCY, YOU'RE OUTTA YOUR MIND IN YOU THINK I'M BABYSITTING AGAIN," Steve spastically said while following Nancy to her room, Cleo and Robin following closely behind as well

      "Come on, Steve. Babysitting isn't that bad," Cleo said while entering the room with Robin not far behind.

      Steve sharply turned his head to look at her as if she were stupid, "Okay if it's not that bad then why don't you do it?" he crossed his arms.

      She shrugged, "can't, I'm Becky, the academic scholar." He rolled his eyes.

Nancy spoke while rummaging through her closet, "okay, first off, they're not babies anymore. And Max is in real danger, she needs people around her."

      Steve leaned against the wall disregarding Cleodora bouncing while she sat on Nancy's bed. "I know," he said, "but why me?"

      Robin then entered the bedroom, her eyes widening in awe at the sight like a child in a candy store. "Oh my God, you have a Tom Cruise poster," she said. "You have a Tom Cruise poster," she repeated before going straight to rummaging through Nancy's things.

      "That's old-" Nancy said while Robin giggled. "Just- please don't touch anything," she said while Robin didn't obey.

      "Cleo, come look," Robin whisper shouted at the girl who was silently sitting on the bed.

      "I can't do anything here, Nance," Steve began, "Maybe I can be helpful with this asylum director dude. I don't know. I could turn on my... my charm."

      "Not the kind of charm we need," Nancy said.

      "Ouch." Cleo snickered from her spot at this.

"No, I just..." Nancy sighed, "I did a little digging last night, and it turns out this Dr. Hatch is a distinguished fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and a Harvard visiting scholar, okay? This is a lifelong student of the world. If we're gonna win him over, we're gonna have to convince him we are too."

      "Holy shit," Robin whispered while Cleo's attention went to her, "there's a little ballerina in here." She held up a music box with a mini ballerina figurine spinning. Cleodora's eyes lit up at the sight and she went over to inspect it.

      "Academic scholar. They're giving you academic scholar?" Steve put his hand out in their direction. "They practically share a singular brain cell."

      Cleo grinned at Steve, "I'm flattered you think so highly of us to think we share a whole brain cell and not half of one."

      "Academic scholars?" Steve questioned again.

      "No, but..." Nancy pulled out two horrendously looking dresses from her closet, "they will."

      "You've got to be joking," Robin said.

      "Hey, Steve, how do you feel about turning Becky into Beck?" Cleo said while staring at the horrific dress with frills.

      "Yeah, no."