43. "What's your name?"

"I will not work on a field. I'm going to the Scout Regiment," the brown-haired kid with the angry sparkling eyes yelled again.

Ayumi watched as a girl tried to drag the boy behind her. In the morning, soldiers from the Military Police Regiment had told the refugees that from today on they would help with the work on the fields in order to ease the tense situation regarding food. Anyone who refused the order of the government would be punished. Immediately. The refugees waited in long queues for the soldiers of the Military Police Regiment to write down their name, place of origin and year of birth and then tell them on which field and in which group they had to work. How serious the situation was could be seen from the few exceptions: Seriously ill people, pregnant women and children up to the age of four. The old people who had managed to escape from the Titans were also standing in the queues, partly supported by crutches. So did small children, crying from hunger or tiredness. "So you don't automatically have a good childhood up here either," Ayumi thought sadly and handed the stacked bread baskets to Jimmy. The two of them, along with Louis and Mike and Levi's teams, had been helping soldiers from the Garrison Regiment and the Military Police Regiment with the morning's food distribution.

"Eren, we are still too young for the military," a blond boy now also tried to calm his friend. But words didn't help, because the boy continued to shout: "We should get weapons now. The Titans certainly won't wait until we are old enough. They can attack again. Any moment. And then I want to kill those beasts."

"Eren, please be quiet. We'll attract attention," the blond kid tried to placate his friend and looked anxiously at a soldier of the Military Police Regiment who had his eyes on Eren. Ayumi was also aware of it. But just as she planed to take the boy with her for his own protection, the girl with the black hair punched him. And her screaming friend fell down. As he tried to get up, the girl hit him again. Ayumi's eyebrows narrowed. The emotionless expression of the girl reminded her of someone. At the same time, she felt a slight chill when she saw the girl's face for the first time. Visually, they seemed to have the same origin.

When the girl tried to hit her friend again, Ayumi held her hand tightly.

"How strong she is," Ayumi noticed in amazement and looked into the girl's calm eyes. "What's your name?," Ayumi asked with interest.

"Mikasa Ackerman," the girl answered briefly.

"And yours?," Ayumi asked further, glancing from the corner of her eyes at the anxious boy.

"My name is Armin Alert. I'm sorry we caused trouble," Armin stammered.

Ayumi nodded and looked at the boy on the ground. His lip was split open. But this did not seem to interest him. His gaze had changed. Two bright blue-green eyes examined Ayumi. The soldier realised that it was because of her Scout Regiment uniform.

"And who is that?," she wanted to know from Armin.

"That's Eren Jäger. He just lost his temper for a moment," Armin tried to defuse the situation. "Sorry. We are sorry. He ... We ... We are from Shiganshina," he added sadly and quietly.

Ayumi looked around. No one in the immediate area looked like they were related to the three children. "You are alone here?," she asked Mikasa.

The girl nodded.

"Eren?," Ayumi offered him her free hand. "I'm sure you know that your friend is quite strong. So if you actually want to join the Scout Regiment one day, I'd better listen to your friends for once if I were you. We can't use you with broken bones."

Eren nodded and grabbed Ayumi's hand.

"So you're quiet now?," she asked further.

Eren nodded again and let Ayumi pull him up. While Armin handed Eren a handkerchief for his bleeding lip, Ayumi analysed Mikasa's facial features again. Only after she noticed a person over Mikasa's shoulder in a shop on the other side did she finally let go of the girl's hand.