Words Left Unsaid

"I'm outside. Tara, alis tayo," Leni texted Risa as soon as she parked her car outside her house.

It was a Saturday afternoon and she shouldn't have been here. But she hasn't seen Risa for days and as much as she wouldn't dare admit it, she missed her. Badly. They were supposed to meet yesterday but they both had scheduled meetings so they met on Wednesday that week instead.

"Lens!" Risa greeted, coming out of the gate in casual clothing. "Nagmadali ako magbihis, saan tayo pupunta? Ano'ng meron?"

Namiss kita, she wanted to say. But the words that left her mouth were different. "Kahit saan."

"Ha? Anong kahit saan?"

"Kahit saan nga. Basta gusto ko ng street food."

"Oh okay, sakto ka ako rin nagcacrave nyan. Pero what's the occassion?"

Gusto kita kasama, Leni wanted to say. But she held her tongue again and started driving, "Wala lang."

She didn't even know where she wanted to go. She just knew that today was a Saturday and she wanted nothing more than to spend it with Risa.

"UP Diliman? Really?"

"Maraming street food dito."

Leni parked the car on the sidewalk across from a street food vendor. "Magandang tanghali po! Anim na fishball po."

"Bili mo rin ako ayun oh."

They bought a variety of street foods and other snacks from the stores along the road. When Risa returned to the car after buying drinks, she drove along Guerrero street and parked in front of the Econ building.

"Oh, this was your building in college."

"Yep. Tara baba na tayo dito. Ayan lang Sunken oh."

"Ano gagawin natin sa Sunken?"

"Magpipicnic tayo. Let's go, misis ko."

There weren't a lot of people on campus today. Just a few students who wanted to spend their day in the sun or practicing for something. They walked towards Sunken Garden carrying their snacks.

"Dati after class, imbis na sa library kami mag-aral ng blockmates ko, dito kami sa Sunken."

"Eh diba maingay dito kapag puno 'yung campus?"

"Oo, pero masaya eh. Saka 'yung aral namin parating mas maraming chika."

Leni pointed to one of her usual spots back in college. "Kapag mag-isa lang ako, dyan ako naka-upo. Madalas nagbabasa, minsan nagsusulat."

"Sipag naman pala ni Ms. Gerona."

"Oo 'no. Kapag walang klase puro lang ako review."

They sat on one of the benches in the shade, overlooking the rest of the open field. Leni inhaled the scent of the fresh air. It's been a while since she's been back here. Leni was about to take a bite of her food when Risa took her wrist, urging her to get up.

"Doon tayo sa may pwesto mo palagi dati. Malilim din naman oh."

Leni laughed and followed suit, sitting down on the grass beside Risa. They were eating in peace when Risa asked, "Will you tell me more about college Leni?"

"College Leni? Bakit naman biglang na-curious ka na sa college life ko?"

"Maliban sa nasa UP tayo, I remember you telling me about visiting bars when you were in college. Eh sa mga kinukwento mo kanina, good girl Leni ka. Tapos may bar life ka pala? I want to know more."