Just for Tonight

It was only Tuesday and Leni found herself bombarded with work. She went to meeting after meeting, signing paper after paper. It never ended for her. One task would be over, another would follow. It was tiring, of course. But she loved what she was doing.

She slept over at Risa's house on Sunday evening and she thought then that maybe this was another habit they were starting to fall into. Similar to how they slowly fell into the habit of calling each other their wives however jokingly. Which one was the habit they were falling into exactly though? Inviting the other to sleep over or sleeping beside each other?

One of her staff knocked on her door and peered inside, "Ma'am, you have a call po."

Leni nodded then picked up the telephone to answer. "Hello, how may I help you?"

"Good morning po, VP Leni," an unknown voice from the other end greeted. "Staff po ako ni Sen. Risa. Pinapasabi po niya na hindi po siya makakapunta sa meeting niyo tonight. Absent rin po siya today kasi may sakit daw po."

"Ah gano'n ba. Sige, salamat!"

Leni put the telephone down and leaned back in her chair. She thought about texting Risa to ask how she was doing but she decided not to. She decided to do something even better than that.

Once work hours were over, Leni drove to Risa's house, bringing fruits that she bought from the vendor outside the office as soon as she found out that Risa wasn't feeling well. She also passed by a drug store and bought medicine for her.

Why was she doing this exactly? She didn't know either. But a part of letting herself feel whatever it was that she was feeling was making sure that Risa was fine. That Risa's always taken good care of.

No regrets, Leni, she reminded herself. No more regrets.

She arrived at Risa's house, parking the car and swiftly ringing the doorbell in a matter of a few seconds. The door opened and she came face to face with Risa, whose hair was in a messy bun, eyes tired, nose red, and mouth agape.

"Leni?" Risa said in bewilderment.

"Hi, Ris," Leni replied. "I heard you were sick."

"Oo nga, may sakit ako. What are you doing here? Baka mahawa ka sa'kin."

"Wala lang. Gusto ko lang alagaan 'yung asawa ko."

Risa sniffed then smiled softly, "Sweet mo naman, wifey. Tara, pasok ka."

They went into the living room and Risa sat comfortably on the couch. Leni, who wasn't new to the inner workings of Risa's household, went straight to the kitchen to put the fruits on the counter.

"Kumain ka na ba?" Leni asked, drying her hands on a towel as she walked back to the living room. Risa shook her head and she was met with a pointed look. "Hindi ka pa kumakain mula kailan?"

"Kaninang tanghali ata."

"Hay nako, ikaw talaga. Dapat nakapaghapunan ka na, anong oras na oh. Dyan ka lang ha, lulutuan kita ng pagkain."

"Lens, 'wag na. Okay lang ako, you should go home."

"Hindi ka okay. Let me do this for you."

"You don't have to take care of me, you know that."

"I know. But I want to. Hayaan mo akong alagaan ka kasi may sakit ka. Okay lang ba 'yun?"

Risa chuckled weakly and nodded. Leni smiled at her, "Good. Pahinga ka lang muna dyan."

Leni stirred the soup she was cooking then sliced a few of the fruits she knew were Risa's favorites. She put them on the tray and walked to the living room. After putting the tray down on the coffee table, she instinctively put her palm on Risa's forehead. "Ang init mo pa rin."