Message Received

Leni has been checking her phone every five minutes, waiting to see if Risa has responded to any of her texts. Usually, Risa was the first one to send a message. "Good morning, wifey. Ingat ka today!" was her usual greeting. Sometimes, she would send a joke with her good morning text. Not even a second later, Leni would always respond with "Good morning to you too, misis ko. Take care rin!" Sometimes though, she'd be the first one to text and Risa would reply with "Ay naunahan mo ako."

Risa would also send a few messages in between work hours. Sometimes it's her asking how Leni was doing. Or it could be just her fooling around and asking Leni the most random of questions. To which Leni would reply without letting a minute pass.

These were simple things. But however simple they may be, they were the highlights of Leni's days.

Now here she was, checking her phone every five minutes because it's already lunch time and Risa has yet to respond to any of her texts. She sent a good morning text, a question about something on the news, and a reminder to eat lunch because she knew Risa would be too busy to remember.

Clingy mo na, Leni scolded herself. Baka busy lang.

She went on with her day, brushing away the thought that Risa still hasn't responded to her messages. She focused on work and reminded herself that she had all the time to analyze why Risa wasn't texting her back later.

"I can't meet tonight. Busy sa work," Leni read Risa's text as she got in her car after work. She understood immediately. She didn't know why Risa didn't tell her earlier, or why her text seemed a little too unlike her, but she understood. Maybe today wasn't one of those days where Risa felt the way she usually would. Maybe something happened at work.

Leni understood. Which is why she sent a reply, telling Risa that it was okay and that she didn't need to worry. "Don't forget to eat dinner ha? Ingat ka pauwi." Then she got in the car, drove home, and laid down in bed, not minding that Risa didn't bother to reply to her last text.

It felt weird. Lying down in bed, without Risa beside her, felt weird. It was just one night but Leni felt like she needed that so badly that she wanted it again. It scared her more than anyone would think because she knew this train of thought could lead to something much more than they both initially thought.

She sent a good night text. Of course she did. "Good night, misis ko."

And she still had no replies received.

---------------------------

She woke up early and it still felt weird. Waking up, without Risa beside her, felt weird. It was a simple morning routine that didn't need to be thought twice but it felt so natural that Leni wanted more of it. Again, it scared her because she knew they were friends. Just friends.

Maybe that's why Risa didn't come for your usual work nights kagabi, the voice inside her head said. Leni didn't want to think about it like that. It hasn't been very long after all. So she took her phone and checked if she had any messages from her wife.

She didn't.

Baka tulog pa, she thought. So she typed a good morning text and went about her morning routine, mind still full of memories from yesterday morning with Risa. "Good morning, wifey."

Just as she was about to leave the house, she checked her phone again. Still, nothing.

So for the second time this week, she went about her work, finished the stuff she needed to do, and set her overthinking aside. She even forgot to send Risa a reminder to eat lunch because she was caught up in a meeting.