Sixteen

Hanabi, Haruhi, Takashi, and Honey helped with the food. They grilled skewers of meat and vegetables that they prepared beforehand and laid them on a large tray for everyone to share.

"This feels more like camping," Tamaki stated.

Hanabi just smiled as everyone agreed. She was having fun. And it meant so much that the hosts would take a break from their pampered lifestyle to spend time with her. Even Haruhi seemed to be having more fun than she thought she would.

There were a few other groups here, spread out over the grilling area. There were a few families and probably some college students on break. Yamato and her group left earlier in the day to go home, so she knew she wouldn't be seeing them again.

Tamaki and the twins were scheming again, when they decided to just go for it.

"Hanabi," Hikaru called out. "Do you like anyone?" The entire table fell silent.

She paused, skewer halfway to her mouth, "like?"

"Yeah," Kaoru pushed. "Like, like-like?"

"Did we start a game of truth or dare or something?" She asked Haruhi.

"What's that?" Tamaki asked excitedly. "Another commoner game?"

Hanabi nodded, "it's-"

"Nothing! It's absolutely nothing," Haruhi interjected. She stared at her sister, willing her to agree. She will not be playing truth or dare with the host club.

"Right. It's nothing," Hanabi grinned innocently.

"So?" The twins asked again. "Anyone you want to be with, romantically?"

That's a much easier question. "Nope." The table darkened in gloom.

"You guys are asking the wrong questions," Kyoya stated, bringing the light back on. "Try, what type of person would you like, romantically."

Hanabi thought about it. That was easy. Someone like Takashi. Kind, trustworthy, strong, comfortable, safe. But she didn't like him. She couldn't like him. So she unconsciously smashed down her budding feelings once again, "It doesn't matter. They don't exist." She finally answered. There is no one else like Takashi, so it doesn't matter.

She didn't mean to sound so heartbroken when she said it.

"You okay, Hanabi?" Haruhi asked her. They were in the large outdoor bath now.

"Hmm...?" Hanabi said tiredly. She leaned against one of the sides.

"Are you okay? You're never this relaxed in the bath."

"Haruhi...am I...stupid?"

"What? Aren't you top of your class?" She asked.

"Oh yeah."

Haruhi rolled her eyes. Maybe her sister is stupid. "Where'd that come from?"

"I guess I've been feeling kinda off since dinner time. You know when Kyoya asked me that question?" Haruhi nodded. "I did have someone in mind..."

The boys bath was adjacent to the girls. They entered the bath one at at time, and awkwardly turned away from the others. The conversation was forced and awkward, so instead they opted for silence. They were surprised to be able to hear the girls enter their own bath, and now, they could clearly hear their conversation. They listened eagerly.

"Really?" Haruhi asked, shocked. "Who is it?"

Hanabi stood up, frustrated. "See, that's the thing! I don't even know what it means to like someone! You remember how we used to get confessions in middle school?"